̶(̶ ̶4̶0 ̶)̶

D R A G O N S T O N E

𝕽𝖍𝖆𝖊𝖓𝖞𝖗𝖆 𝕿𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖆𝖗𝖞𝖊𝖓 𝖜𝖆𝖘𝖓'𝖙 𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖞 𝖙𝖔 𝖕𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖈.

But when Ser Erryk informed her that Marax had attacked the Dragonguards and was gone, she had to admit that her heart stopped for a moment and the air suddenly became like sharp knife stabs. Her first glance had been to Daemon, who had returned her gaze, albeit with a touch less panic. There was something glittering in his eyes that Rhaenyra didn't understand.

"He will return," Daemon said reassuringly to her, knowing how much Marax meant to her. He was the last thing she had left of Aemma.

Rhaenyra nodded, but she wasn't convinced. A dragon could not be controlled and could not be foreseen. Marax could be anywhere and she wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Her father had said it appropriately. The idea that they could control dragons was an illusion. Marax was Aemma's dragon, he had accepted her as a rider, but that didn't mean he was waiting for her. The two hadn't had much time to forge a special bond. Rhaenyra wondered if, unlike her, Marax had had enough and couldn't wait any longer.

"Mother," Lucerys said suddenly and she looked at him. Her son stood nervously next to his older brother, whom she barely recognized. Jacaerys had changed a lot since the beginning of this war, living a withdrawn life trapped in his own thoughts, and Rhaenyra often wondered if it was her fault. Had she driven her son to this change? Was it her own greed for the crown, whose burden was already dragging her down. Should she have given up the throne? Was she a bad mother? It was her right to inherit the iron throne, the seven kingdoms, her father had appointed her and never changed it and she didn't believe the lies Alicent told about him suddenly having a change of heart in his last moment. Her father had believed in her, in her as a daughter and as a queen, and yet Rhaenyra wondered if she was too greedy. Her children could be safe, happy and well-cared for, but instead she subjected them to a war she never wanted.