̶(̶ ̶49 ̶)̶

D R A G O N S T O N E

𝕺𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖙𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖍 𝖉𝖆y 𝖔𝖋 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖉 𝖒𝖔𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝖙𝖍𝖊 y𝖊𝖆𝖗, 𝕷𝖚𝖈𝖊𝖗𝖞𝖘 V𝖊𝖑𝖆𝖗y𝖔𝖓'𝖘 𝖋𝖚𝖓𝖊𝖗𝖆𝖑 𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝖍𝖊𝖑𝖉 𝖔𝖓 𝕯𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖔𝖓𝖘𝖙𝖔𝖓𝖊.

His body was wrapped in linen, his face hidden in the white cloths that were supposed to protect him from evil eyes.

In the Seven Kingdoms, the bodies of the dead were cared for and prepared by the Silent Sisters, a religious order within the Faith of the Seven, committed to the service of strangers.

The body of the deceased was usually laid out for visitors and prayers. Cleaned, possible wounds hidden from the eyes of the living and dressed in formal clothing. Two gravestones were placed over the deceased's closed eyes, each painted to resemble open eyes.

'Do not fear death, for it is not the end. We close our eyes in this world, but our eyes open again in the hereafter.'

The Targaryens had not adopted this custom.

The remains of the royal family were buried in the crypts of the Great Sept but Targaryens were cremated instead of buried. Although members of House Targaryen converted to the Faith of the Seven after the conquest and unification of the Seven Kingdoms, they continued to practice cremation in the tradition of their Valyrian ancestors.

If a dragon was available, it was used to light the flame of the pyre.

And so it was with Lucerys. His remains lay on a pyre outside Dragonstone, in a large green meadow, surrounded by people mourning his death.

A peaceful place for a gruesome death.

Rose looked at her mother, who was staring at her dead son's body.

She had returned alone from Harrenhal, had given Daemon the order not to leave the post and was now standing alone in front of her son, with Jacaerys and Rose few steps behind her.