Chapter 4

Wendigo

Hot Blooded by Foreigner was playing softly through the speakers as we sped down the road. I was currently giving Dean the silent treatment because he would not let me have the car keys. Horrid, I know. 

Sam jumped awake, gasping. 

"You okay?" Dean asked, not taking his eyes off of the road ahead. 

Sam looked over at his brother. "Yeah, I'm fine."

I scoff lightly. Okay, sure.

"Another nightmare?" Dean asked. 

Sam only cleared his throat instead of responding. 

"Wanna drive for a while?" Dean looked over at Sam.

I stare, slack-jawed at him. "Are you kidding me?"

Sam laughed a little. "Dean, your whole life, you've never once asked me that."

"Just thought you might want to. Nevermind." Dean looked back to the road.

"Look, man, you're worried about me. I get it." Sam says. "And thank you. But I'm perfectly okay."

"Hm." Dean hummed.

"You jackass." I lean forward, looking to Dean.

"Oh, she speaks." Dean smiled a little, meeting my eyes.

"Eyes on the road, Casanova. Don't kill me with your sucky driving." I shove his shoulder.

"I am a wonderful driver."

Sam grabbed the map from the dash, asking, "Where are we?"

"We are just outside of Grand Junction." Dean replied.

"You know what? Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon." Sam suggested. 

"Sam, we dug around there for a week. We came up with nothing." Dean stated. "If you wanna find the thing that killed Jessica--" 

"Then we gotta find Dad first." Sam filled in. 

"Dad disappearing and this thing showing up again after twenty years," Dean continued, "it's no coincidence. Dad will have answers. He'll know what to do."

"It's weird, man." Sam began. "These coordinates he left us, this-this Blackwater Ridge."

"What, is it a ghost town?" I ask. "The house of some old serial killers. Ooh, maybe it's vampires." 

"Vampires don't exist." Dean pointed out.

"Oh, shut up."

"What about it?" Dean asked.

"There's nothing there." Sam answered.

"Oh, well, that's so boring." I sigh. 

"It's just woods." Sam continued, dropping the map. "Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?"

___

"So Blackwater Ridge is pretty remote." Sam began as the three of us stood in the Ranger Station in Lost Creek. He circles a table with a map on it. "It's cut off by these canyons here. Rough terrain, dense forest. Abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place."

Dean wandered over to a photo frame that hung on the wall, hardly paying attention. "Dude, check out the size of this friggin' bear."

"Oh, no way." I move toward him, gazing up at the picture as well. My Dad took me and my brother hunting a lot. Well, normal hunting...as well as this type of hunting. "That thing's probably, like, a 900-pound bear. No doubt about it."