Chapter 55

Something Wicked

I shut the Impala door, brushing a rain drop from my cheek as we stood outside of the motel. 

"So what is a Shtriga?" Sam asked Dean. 

"It's kind of like a witch, I think." Dean replied, moving to the trunk of the car. "I don't know much about them. Si? Keys."

"Oh, right." I tossed him the keys so he could unlock the trunk.

"Well, I've never heard of them." Sam stated. "And it's not in dad's journal."

"Neither is a dinosaur but those were real too." I pointed out, trying to lighten the mood. 

"Dad hunted one in Fort Douglas, Wisconsion about sixteen or seventeen years ago." Dean insisted, zipping up a duffel bag. "You were there. You don't remember?" 

"No." Sam answered, shaking his head. 

"I guess he caught wind of the thing in Fitchburg and kicked us the coordinates." Dean shrugged. 

"So how do we take this witch, child killing monster out?" I asked, leaning against the car. 

"So, wait. This..." Sam trailed off.

"Shtriga." Dean filled in.

"Right. You think it's the same one dad hunted before?" 

"I don't know. Maybe." Dean shut the trunk of the car. "Si, you staying with us or getting your own room?" 

"I'll stay with you." I say as we walk toward the lobby door.

"But if dad went after it, why is it still breathing air?" Sam asked. 

"Because it's alive....?" I say slowly. 

"Because it got away." Dean stated. 

"Got away?" Sam repeated. 

"Yeah, Sammy, it happens."

"Not very often."

"I don't know what to tell you, man. Maybe dad didn't have his wheaties that morning." 

"What else do you remember?" Sam asked.

"Nothing." Dean stated, but I wasn't sure I believed him. "I was a kid, alright." He pushed open the door, letting me walk in first. 

He stopped at the counter, ringing the bell as I wandered over to a photo hanging on the wall. I glance over my shoulder to see a boy no older than twelve or thirteen walk up to Dean from the kitchen and living room in the other room. 

"King or two queens?" The boy asked. 

"Two queens." Dean replied. 

I felt eyes on me and glanced over again. The boy looked over at me, then back at Dean with a 'really?' look. 

Dean rolled his eyes. "Not together."

The boy's eyes then drifted to Sam, who was standing by the Impala just outside of the door. He scoffed. "Yeah, I bet." 

"What'd you say?" Dean asked. I laughed softly. "Saige." He says, a warning in his tone as he shoots me a look. 

"I didn't say anything, grumpy." I shrugged. 

"Nice car." The boy nodded his head.

The door opened and a woman walked in. "Hi. Checking in?" 

"Yeah." Dean replied. 

"Do me a favor, go get your brother some dinner." The woman told the boy. 

"I'm helping a guest." 

The woman have her a son a look.