Chapter 15

Skin

"Feet off the window, Dawson." Dean snapped at me.

"Bite me, Winchester." I replied. 

I sat up quickly, eyes snapping to Dean's as I heard a word that sounded an awful lot like 'gladly' fall past his lips in a quiet murmur. 

There's no way.

He didn't--

Did he?

No.

"Anyway," Dean cleared his throat as he put the car in park and killed the engine, "as I was saying, I figured we hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, Bisbee by midnight." He looked over at Sam, who was paying zero attention's. "Sam wears women's underwear."

"So does Dean." I laughed a little.

Dean shot me a look. "I will drop your hitchhiking ass off somewhere."

"No, you won't." 

"I'm listening, I'm just busy." Sam tells Dean, eyes trained on his cell phone. 

"Busy doin' what?" Dean asked as he got out of the car.

"Reading E-mails."

"Ooh, fun." I muttered sarcastically. 

"E-mails from who?" Dean asked as he walked around the car to the gas pump.

"Santa Claus." I answered. 

"From my friends at Stanford." Sam replied. 

"You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?" Dean questioned. 

"Why not?"

"Well...what exactly do you tell them?" Dean moved to the passenger window, leaning against the door. "You know, about where you've been, what you've been doin'."

"I tell them I'm on a road trip with my big brother and his...whatever Saige is. I tell him I needed some time off after Jess." 

"Should I be offended?" I asked. 

"No--" Sam began.

"You tell them that you road tripping with me and my hitchhiker?" Dean says. "Oh, so you lie to them?"

"No. I just don't tell them...everything." Sam shrugged his shoulders. 

"Yeah, that--tha--that's called lying. I mean, hey, man, I get it, telling 'em the truth is far worse." 

"So what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" 

Dean shrugged in respone.

"You're serious?"

Dean scoffed. "Look, it sucks, but a job like this, you can't get close to people."

"You're kind of antisocial, you know that?" Sam says. 

"Yeah, whatever." 

"Dean." I lightly hit his arm to grab his attention as I lean out of the window.

"Yeah, Pumpkin?" Dean teased.

"Don't call me that." I scoff. "Listen, will you please go get me a Twinkie or something?"

"Hmm, for a price."

"What do you want?"

Dean winked, and I knew this wasn't going to be good. "Give me a kiss."

"What? No." I scoff, turning my eyes away from his. He was just messing with me.