Chapter 16

Skin 

I felt Dean's hand on my waist as we walked toward the crowd gathering on the sidewalk. We had followed the ambulance, which led us to this. A police officer was blocking off a building with the yellow caution tape. 

"What happened?" Dean asked one of the women that stood watching the scene before us.

"He tried to kill his wife. Tied her up and beat her." The woman answered. 

"Really?" Sam asked.

"Yeah. I used to see him go to work in the morning. He'd wave, say hello. He seemed like such a nice guy."

___

Sam and I walk around the corner of the building. Sam was in front of me, checking in the two trash cans before continuing back toward the sidewalk.

"Well, that was a bust. We practically found nothing." I remark. 

"Hey." Dean called out, making Sam and I turn around. "Remember when I said this wasn't our kind of problem?"

"Which time?" I asked jokingly.

Dean have me a 'really' look. "Definitely our kind of problem."

"What'd you find out?" Sam asked. 

"I just talked to the patrolman who was first on the scene. Hear this guy Alex's story. Apparently, dude was driving home from a business trip when his wife was attacked." Dean explained. 

"So he was in two places at once."

"Exactly." Dean nods. "Then he sees himself in the house, police think he's a nutjob."

"That's gotta be creepy as hell. To come face to face with yourself." I muttered. 

"Two dark doubles attacking loved ones in the exact same way." Sam began, walking around Dean, then turning to face him.

"Could be the same thing doing it too." Dean replied. 

I groan. "No. I hate those things." 

"Shapeshifter?" Sam asked, which Dean shrugged in response to. "Something that can make itself look like anyone." 

"Every culture in the world has a shapeshifter lore. Legends of creatures who can transform themselves into animals or other men." Dean says. 

"Skinwalkers, werewolves." Sam nodded along. 

"Two attacks within blocks of each other. I'd say we have a shapeshifter problem in the neighborhood." 

"Fun." I huffed. "Is it too late to bail?"

Dean gasped, very dramatically, might I add. "You wish to bail on me?"

"You didn't buy me a Twinkie."

"You didn't give me a kiss. A deal's a deal, Sweetheart." 

Sam rolled his eyes. "Let me ask you this, in all this shapeshifter lore, can any of them fly?"

"Yes, Sam, they all sprout wings and shoot people with love potion arrows." I remarked. 

"Not that I know of." Dean answered seriously.

"Oh, come on, shapeshifter's having wings? That's ridiculous." I say.

"There's a trail here." Sam began. "Someone ran out of the back of this building and headed this way." He turned back toward us. 

"Like your friend's house." 

"Yeah, and just like at Zach's house, the trial suddenly ends. Whatever it is just disappeared."