Chapter 6

Wendigo 

I gently blow on the small flame, watching as the fire caught and shot upward. Dean was currently drawing the protection symbols in the dirt around camp. I was making sure we didn't all die from the elements. 

This was my strong suit. I'd been surviving like this since I was a kid. Between growing up on a farm and going camping as much as possible, I knew what I was doing. 

"One more time, that's--" Hailey began.

"Anasazi symbols." Dean answered, kneeling to draw another. "It's for protection. The Wendigo can't cross over 'em."

Roy laughed once more.

"You know, it's rude to laugh in the faces of the people trying to save your life." I muttered.

"She's right. Nobody likes a skeptic, Roy." Dean added. He stood up, walking past me. 

As Dean passed, I felt his hand brush my upper back. I turn to watch him walk away. Did he want me to follow?

Dean looked over his shoulder, nodding in his direction. Apparently. I stand, moving to catch up with him. 

Dean sat on one side of Sam and I sat across from the two. 

"You wanna tell me what's going on in that freaky head of yours?" Dean asked Sam.

Okay, so this was clearly a private matter. Why am I here? I nervously pick at the hem of my jacket, going to stand. 

"Dean--" Sam began.

"No, you're not fine." Dean shook his head. "Sit down, Saige."

Ooh, full name, he's serious. 

Dean looked back to Sam. "You're like a power keg, man. It's not like you. I'm supposed to be the belligerent one, remember?"

"Dad's not here." Sam stated, tears forming in his eyes.

"Uh, I'm just going to--" I stand once more.

"I said sit." Dean shot me a look. 

I open my mouth to argue, but the way he looked at me made me cave. I sat back down. 

"I mean, that much we know for sure, right?" Sam continued. I am so not supposed to be here. "He would've left us a message, a sign, right?"

"Yeah, you're probably right." Dean agreed. "Tell you the trust, I don't think Dad's ever been to Lost Creek."

Get me out of here, please. 

"Then let's get these people back to town and let's hit the road." Sam says. "Go find Dad. I mean, why are we still even here?"

Dean stood, pulling John's journal from his coat and moving to sit beside me. He placed his hand flat on the book. "This is why. This book." he tapped his finger against the journal. "This is Dad's single most valuable possession. Everything that Dad knows about every evil thing is in here. He's passed it on to us. I think he wants us to pick up where he left off." Dean stated. "Saving people, hunting things, the family business."

Sam shook his head. "That makes no sense." he ran his hands over his face. "Why? Why doesn't he just call us? Why doesn't he just tell us what he wants? Why doesn't he just tell us where he is?" 

"I don't know." Dean admits. "But the way I see it, Dad's given us a job to do. And I intend to do it."

"Dean." Sam says. "No. I gotta find Dad. I gotta find Jessica's killer. It's the only thing I can think about."

"Okay. Alright. Sam, we will find them, I promise." Dean tells him. "Listen to me, you have to prepare yourself. I mean, the search could take a while. And all that anger, you can't keep it burning over the long haul. It's gonna kill you. You gotta have patience, man."