Chapter 23

Bugs

"So, you three are students?" The anthropology professor asked. 

"Yeah. Yeah." Sam lies. "We're in your class. Anthro 101."

"Oh, yeah."

"So what about the bones?" Dean asked gesturing to the box of skulls. "Professor?"

"This is quite an interesting find." The professor looked between the three of us. "I'd say they're 170 years old. Give or take. Time frame and geography heavily suggest Native American."

"Were there any tribes or reservations on that land?" Sam asked. 

"Not according to the historical record." The professor says. "But the relocation of native peoples was quite common at that time."

"Right. Well, are there any local legends or anything?" I asked.

"Any oral histories?" Sam added. "About the area?"

"Well, you know, there's a Euchee tribe in Sapulpa." The professor tells us. "It's about sixty miles from here. Someone out there might know the truth."

"Alright." Dean nodded.

___

We walk into the diner that we were directed to by a nice older man on the reservation. I spot a man sitting in a booth by himself, playing solitaire. We walk toward the man.

"Joe Whitetree?" Sam asked, grabbing the man's attention. 

He nodded his head.

"Look, sir, we're sorry to bother you, but we have a few questions if you don't mind." I gave him a small smile. "May I?" I gesture to the seat across from him.

He nodded his head again.

"Thank you." I say as I sit down.

"We're students from the University." Dean began. I shoot him a look.

Lying wasn't needed in this situation. 

"No, you're not." Mr. Whitetree stated. "You're lying."

Dean glanced at Sam and I. I gave him a 'don't lie' look.

"Well, um, truth is--" Dean tried again.

"You know who starts sentences with truth is? Liars." Mr. Whitetree cut him off.

"He's got a point." I shrugged, looking at Dean. He gave me a look. 

"Have you heard of Oasis Plains?" Sam asked. "It's a housing development near Atoka Valley."

"I like him. He's not a liar." Mr. Whitetree says. "I know the area."

"Well, you see, sir, we'd like to know about the history there." I say. 

"I like her. She's nice...and not liar." Mr. Whitetree states. 

"Thank you." 

"What do you wanna know?"

"Something," Sam began, sighing, "something bad is happening in Oasis Plains. We think it might have something to do with some old bones we found down there. Native American bones." 

Mr. Whitetree nodded his head, sighing. "I'll tell you what my grandfather told me, what his grandfather told him. Two hundred years ago, a band of my ancestors lived in that valley. One day, the American Calvary came to relocate them. They were resistant. The Calvary impatient. As my grandfather put it, on a night where the moon and the sun share the sky as equals, the Calvary first raided our village."

"They murdered, raped. The next day the Calvary came again. And the next and the next. And on the sixth night the Calvary came on last time. By the time the sun rose, every man, woman, and child still in the village was dead." Mr. Whitetree says. "They say on the sixth night as the chief of the village lay dying, he whispered to the heavens that no white man would ever tarnish this land again. Nature would rise up and protect the valley. And it would bring as many days of misery and death to the white man as the Calvary had brought upon his people."