Chapter 54

Something Wicked

"Yeah, but you probably missed something, that's what." Dean tells Sam.

"Dude, I ran Nexus Lexus, police reports, newspapers, I couldn't find a single red flag." Sam replied from the backseat of the Impala. After almost having a fistfight over who got shotgun, Dean finally snapped, and I got to sit up front. "Are you sure you got the coordinates right?"

"Yeah. I double checked. It's Fitchburg, Wisconsin." Dean stated. "Look, Dad wouldn't have sent us if it wasn't important, Sammy."

"Well, I looked and all I could find was a big steaming pile of nothing." Sam says. "If dad's sending us hunting for something, I don't know what." 

"Well, maybe it's deeper than that." I shrugged my shoulders, eyes on the roof of the car. My head rested on Dean's thigh, my feet propped against the door.

"Well, maybe he's gonna meet us there." Dean suggested, running his fingers through my hair.

Sam laughed. "Yeah, because he's been so easy to find up to this point." 

"Sarcasm is not very helpful, Samuel." I pointed out. 

"You're a real smartass, you know that?" Dean looked at Sam through the rear-view mirror. "Both of you." 

"What'd I do?" I tilt my head back a little to gaze up at him. 

"Getting into a fight over a seat in the car and bullying people?"

I scoffed. "That is so not what happened." 

"Anyway, don't worry, I'm sure there's something in Fitchburg worth killing." Dean continued.

"Yeah? What makes you so sure?" Sam asked. 

"Well, because I'm the oldest, which means I'm always right." 

"No, it doesn't." Sam argued.

"Yeah, it totally does."

"That's like Saige's argument for getting shotgun, completely invalid." 

"With old age comes wisdom." I agreed with Dean simply because Sam was annoying me at the moment. 

"Who are you calling old?" Dean asked.

"You." I say in a 'duh' tone. "Don't worry, I still like you even if you're the oldest man ever." 

___

"Sweetheart." Dean held a coffee out to me as he offered a smile.

"Thanks." I take the cup as I leaned against the Impala beside Sam. 

"Well, the waitress thinks the local freemasons are up to something sneaky but, uh, other than that, nobody's heard about anything weird going on." Dean gave Sam a cup as well. 

"You got the time?" Sam asked.

Dean pulled the sleeve of his leather jacket back to glance at his watch. "Ten after four. Why?"

"Because he's becoming Father Time." I say sarcastically. 

"What's wrong with this picture?" Sam nodded to the mostly empty playground across the street. 

Dean looked over. "School's out, isn't it?"

Sam nodded his head. "Yeah. So where is everybody? This place should be crawling with kids right now." 

___

Dean's hand was on my waist as we walked across the street and toward the playground. "It sure is quiet out here." Dean stated as we slowed to a stop by a park bench where a mother sat, watching her daughter.