Chapter 59

Provenances

"You're being distracting." Dean remarked.

"No, I'm reading." I say, not taking my eyes from the papers about the Merchant family. 

Sam was pacing the floor whereas Dean sat at the table in our motel room, eyes on the laptop. I sat in his lap, stack of papers in hand. A knock on the door made us all look over. Sam moved to open it. 

"Hey." He greets as Sarah walked inside. "You alright."

"No, actually." She replied. "I just lied to the cops and said I went to Evelyn's alone and found her like that."

"That's actually very helpful, thank you." I say. 

"Thank you." Sam added.

"Don't thank me. I'm about to call them right back if you don't tell me what the hell is going on." Sarah threatened. "Who's killing these people?" 

Sam glanced over his shoulder at Dean and I before looking at Sarah. "What?" He corrected. 

"What?" Sarah repeated. 

"It's not who, it's what that's kill those people." Sam stated. "Sarah, you saw that painting move."

Sarah scoffed, walking around the room. "No, no. I was seeing things. It's--It's impossible."

"Yeah, well, welcome to our world." Dean tells her as I drop the papers I held back onto the table.

"Sarah, I know this sounds crazy." Sam continued. "But we think that the painting is haunted." 

With tears brimming her eyes, Sarah scoffed. "You're joking."

"Uh, Sam doesn't joke. Or, well, he doesn't joke very often." I point out. "And we don't joke about murder...Most of the time. But that's more of Dean's thing to joke about murder. It's, you know--"

"Si, you're rambling." Dean ran his hand up and down my back. 

"You're not joking." Sarah realized. "God, the guys I go out with." 

"Sarah, think about it." Sam says. "Evelyn, the Telescas, they both has the painting. And there have been others before that. Wherever this thing goes, people die and we're just trying to stop it. That's the truth."

"Well, then I guess you better show me. I'm coming with you." Sarah made her way back toward the door.

"What? No." Sam says. "Sarah, no. You should just go home. This stuff can get dangerous and...I don't want you to get hurt."

"Aww." I say quietly. "Isn't he sweet?" I lightly his Dean's arm.

"Oh, but when I tell you that you don't listen to me." Dean muttered. 

"Look, you guys are probably crazy, but if you're right about this, me and my dad sold this painting that might've gotten people killed." Sarah says. "Look, I'm not saying I'm not scared because I am scared as hell but I'm not gonna run and hide either. So are we going or what?" And with that, she walked out of the door.

"I like her." I say. 

"Sam." Dean began, looking over at his brother. He pointed to the door. "Marry that girl." 

"I thought you weren't talking about marriage?" I asked.

"Since when do you listen to a word I say?" Dean replied, looking at me.

"Uh, since I can use it against you." I replied jokingly.

"You're lucky I like you." Dean says, pressing his lips to mine briefly.