Chapter 31

Scarecrow

Dean had one hand on the steering wheel and the other resting on the top of the seat just around my shoulder. I felt his fingers brushing over the skin of my shoulder, almost dipping down to my collarbone a few times. 

I should move, slid over closer to the passenger door. I should keep my distance.  We were alone. There was nothing to interrupt us if things went too far. 

Dean's touch disappeared then as he got out of the car. I followed suit.

"You're back." Emily states as she stood by the gas pump. 

"Never left." Dean replied. 

"Still looking for your friends?"

Dean nodded, leaning against the car. "Mind filling her up there, uh, Emily?" 

The blonde girl nodded, moving to fill the gas tank.

"So you grow up here?" Dean asked. 

"I came here when I was thirteen." Emily answered. 

I reach into my jacket, searching for my chapstick. 

"I lost my parents." She continued. "Car accident."

"I'm so sorry." I gave her a small smile as I walked around the car toward Dean. Maybe I left it in his jacket. 

"My aunt and uncle took me in." 

"They're nice people." Dean shrugged, not sparing me a glance when I dug my hand into his pocket. 

"Everyone's nice here." 

"So, what, it's the perfect little town?" Dean asked. 

Found it. I pull my hand back, strawberry chapstick in hand. 

"You know, it's the Boonies, but I love it." Emily shrugged. "I mean, the towns around us, people are losing their homes, their farms, but here it's almost like we're blessed."

I nodded my head. "Sounds fantastic." 

"Hey, you been out to the orchard? Seen that scarecrow?" Dean asked. 

Emily scoffed. "Yeah, it creeps me out."

"Heh, whose is it?" 

"I don't know. It's just always been there." 

"That you aunt and uncles?" Dean gestured to the vehicle parked outside of a garage. 

"Customer. Had some car troubles." Emily shrugged. 

"Oh, that sucks." I sighed. "Is it a couple? A guy and a girl?"

Emily nodded her head.

___

Dean held the door to the cafe open for me. I stepped inside, feeling his other hand on my waist as he followed close behind. 

"Hiya, Scotty." Dean smiled in greeting. "Can I get two coffees, black?"

He led me to a table only one down from the couple that were here. Dean pulled a chair out, gesturing for me to sit.

"Thanks." I mumbled, taking a seat. 

"Oh, and some of that pie too." Dean called out, taking a seat beside me. 

I crossed my legs, placing my hands in my lap. 

"How you doing?" Dean asked the couple as his fingers brushed against the bare skin of my ankle. A shiver shot up my spine at his soft touch drawing mindless shapes. "Just passing through?"