Chapter 8

Dead In The Water

I cross the room, grabbing my bag. "I have literally nothing to wear." I muttered. 

"Oh, that's crap." Dean teased, making me look at him. He sat on the foot of the bed, watching as I paced.

"I mean," I began, setting a hand on my hip. "ninety-nine-point nine percent of my clothes need to be washed, thank you very much."

The door opened and Sam walked in. "I think it's safe to rule out nessie." he crossed the room, sitting down beside Dean.

"What do you mean?" Dean asked. 

"I just drove past the Carlton house." Sam states. "There was an ambulance there. Will Carlton is dead."

"He drowned?" Dean asked.

"Yeah." Sam answered. "In the sink."

"So definitely not something corporeal, huh, Sam?" I finally find a clean t-shirt. 

"What the hell?" Dean muttered. "So you're right, this isn't a creature, we're dealing with something else."

"Yeah, but what?" Sam asked. 

"I don't know. Water Wraith, maybe? Some kind of demon?" Dean suggested. "I mean, something that controls water." he pauses. "Water that comes from the same source."

"The lake itself is evil now?" I ask as I cross the room. I stop at the bathroom door, leaning against it. 

"Which would explain why it's upping the body count. It's draining. The lake will be dry in a few months. Whatever this thing is, whatever it wants, it's running out of time." Sam stated. 

"And if it can get through the pipes, it can get to anyone, almost anywhere." Dean added. 

"Oh, well, isn't that a comforting thought right before you get in the shower?" I muttered. 

Dean stood, walking toward the table. He sat down, putting on his boots. "This is gonna happen again, soon."

"And we know another thing, this has got something to do with Bill Carlton." Sam stated. 

"Yeah, it took both his kids."

"The man seems harmless enough. What would want to kill his kids?" I asked. 

"I've been asking around, Lucas' dad, Chris. Bill Carlton's godson." Sam tells us. 

"Let's go pay Mr. Carlton a visit." Dean stood.

"Let me get dressed at least." I turn to the bathroom. "I am not going out in pajamas." 

___

I felt the warmth of Dean's hand on my waist as we walk out onto the dock where Mr. Carlton sat, staring out at the water.

"Mr. Carlton?" Sam asked.

"I don't feel like answering any questions, if you don't mind." Mr. Carlton replied.

"We're with the Department of--" Dena began.

"I don't care who you're with." Mr. Carlton cut him off. "I've answered enough questions today."

"Your son said he saw something in that lake." Sam stated. "What about you? You ever see anything?"

"Mr. Carlton, between Sophie's drowning and Will's death, we think there might be a connection there." I say gently. "To you or your family."

"My children are gone." Mr. Carlton says. "It's--It's worse than dying. Go away...please."

"Come on." I set my hand on Dean's arm. "Let's leave him be."