Chapter 40

Route 666

When I sank into Sam's arms, I broke. Every single part of me fell to pieces right there before him. Every fear, every ache, every single piece of my shattered heart was on display before him. 

He let me clutch his shirt in my fist as I sobbed about how scared I was of these nightmares of me dying, of how sacred I was of my mother coming back into my life, of how scared I was that I'd forever be alone because everyone seemed to leave me. 

Sam just held me, his arms wrapped around me. 

I finally pull away from him, sniffling. "I'm sorry for-for bothering you with all of that. I tend to get extra fragile emotionally when I get sick." 

"No, no, no. It's fine, Saige. You needed someone to talk to." Sam sat down. "And clearly you don't have many people who you can tell you the truth too."

"I'm sorry we grew apart, Sam." I sat down on the edge of the bed next to him. "And sorry in advance if I got you sick."

He waved a hand. "Oh, don't sweat it. But I'm sorry we grew apart too. You know, I see you as my sister still."

"You're nicer to me than my brother is." I laughed a little. "Especially now. He is so pissed at me for not wanting to talk to Laura."

"You don't have to if you don't want to." Sam reminds me. "She walked out, you don't owe her anything."

"I know." I nodded my head. "Thank you for listening, Sam."

"No problem." 

I lean over, wrapping him in another hug. "Seriously. You're my favorite brother again."

Sam laughed. "I feel like that's going to change a lot."

"I meant out of you and Jake, you're my favorite." I muttered. "And out of the Winchesters, you're also my favorite at the moment." 

"Um, I feel inclined to tell you that Dean is heading over to Cassie's in a few minutes." Sam tensed. "Should I tell him to stop by here before?"

I sighed. "No. I just want a good night's sleep. Cassie wins. Whatever happens happens. I was joking when I thought that this was going to be miserable for me. I think I jinxed it." 

"If you ever need anything Saige, I'm here." Sam tells me.

"Same for you, Sam. I'm here." I smiled a little. I turn my head, sneezing. I grab a tissue from the box, blowing my nose. "Why would Dean ever choose anyone else over this?" I joke, gesturing to myself. "I mean, I totally don't look like if death got tortured in hell." 

"You'll find happiness. You won't be alone forever." Sam tells me.

"Thanks, but right now it kind of feels like it." I felt tears sting my eyes again. "I'm serious, Sam. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm your woman." 

"Alright. Thanks." 

___

I groan when I hear a knock on the door. Sam just left less than five minutes ago. What did he want now? I know I said we could talk but I meant after I got better. I stand up, flicking on the lamp. I grab my box of tissues, wrapping a blanket around my shoulders as I cough.

I open my door to see Dean.

Crap. 

I really hoped I would never have to see him again. I know it sounded unlikely seeing as he was my ride, but a girl can hope.

"Hey." I breathed, voice more nasally than normal. I sound so sexy right now. 

"I wanted to check up on you before I left." Dean says. "Can I come in?"