Chapter 7

Dead In The Water

I walk into the restaurant I was meeting Sam and Dean at. I spot Dean sitting at a table. Sam wasn't there. I cross the room, sitting down. 

Dean looked up at me, eyes not quite meeting mine yet. I leaned across the table and grab his coffee cup. "Where have you been?" Dean asked. 

"Out for a swim." I shrugged. "I forgot to bring a shirt with me. Had a rough morning." I glance down at myself as I brush a piece of damp hair out of my face. 

I wore a pair of jean shorts over my bathing suit bottoms but as for a top, I was just in a bikini top. Not exactly what I wanted to walk around in. "Can I borrow your jacket?"

Dean cleared his throat, nodding his head. "Yeah, yeah. Totally." He pulled of his jacket, handing it to me.

"Thanks." I slip my arms through it, pulling it around me. It smelled like him. 

Dean circled something in the newspaper before placing the pen between his teeth. 

The waitress walked up to the table, leaning down to show off her low-cut shirt. Do people even know what modestly is anymore? Well, I can't talk. I just walked in in a bikini. 

But to be fair it was accidently and if I had a choice, I would've had a shirt on. 

Dean looked up, a grin stretching across his face, pen still between his teeth.

I roll my eyes, sinking into my chair. I felt my heart jump at his smile, even if it wasn't directed at me. 

I look over as Sam sat down. "Just the check, please."

"Okay." The waitress walked off.

Dean hung his head before turning to Sam. "You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while. That's--" he pointed to the girl, "fun."

Kill me now, Jesus. Please. 

Dean tossed the newspaper to Sam. "Here, take a look at this. Think I found something. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsion. Last week, Sophie Carlton, 18. Walks into the lake, doesn't walk out."

"Glad I didn't hear that one until after I get back from a swim." I muttered. 

"Authorities dragged the water, nothing." Dean continued. "Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam asked. 

"Yeah, it's weird. They buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure, or whatever." Dean waved it off. 

"Closure?" Sam repeated, earning a nod from Dean. "What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people stop looking."

"That's not entirely true." I point out. "My mom practically fell of the face of the earth."

"Something you wanna say to me?" Dean asked Sam.

My phone rang. I reach into my pocket, excusing myself as the brothers argue. "Hello?"

"Saige?" Dad asked.

"Dad, is everything okay?" I asked. 

"Yeah, Pumpkin. Where are you? Jacob stopped by and said you weren't home." 

"Jake stopped by?" I asked. "Since when?"

"Needed a place to stay." Dad answered.

"Oh, okay. Um, well, I'm just on a trip with Sam and Dean. I'm helping them find John." I tell him. 

"Don't forget to call, okay?" 

"I will." I assure him.

Suddenly a hand was on my elbow, pulling me toward the door. "Where are we going?" I whisper to Dean.