Chapter 14

Bloody Mary

"Dean, stop it," I hiss as he tries to change the radio. I smack his hand away.

"No. It's my car." Dean shot me a look.

"And you promised I could pick the music."

"I should've hitchhikers would pick a song I don't like just to annoy me."

"Ah, that's too bad Mr. Worthington," Sam says, phone to his ear as he sat in the backseat, "I would have paid a lot for that mirror. Okay, well, maybe next time. Thanks."

"So?" Dean asked as Sam hung up.

"So, the mirror was in the family for years until he sold it. One week ago." Sam scoffed. "To a store called Estate Antiques. A store in Toledo." 

"So, wherever the mirror goes, that's where Mary goes." Dean says. 

"That would make sense. Being attached to it." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Yeah, her spirits definitely tied up with it somehow." Sam added. 

"Isn't there an old superstition that says mirrors can capture spirits?" Dean asked. 

"Yeah, there is." Sam answered. "When someone would die in a house, people would cover up the mirror so ghosts wouldn't get trapped." 

"So Mary dies in front of the mirror, and it draws in her spirit." Dean states. 

"Yeah, but how could she move through, like, a hundred different mirrors?" Sam asked. 

"I don't know, but I say if the mirror is the source, we find it and smash it." 

"Violent, I like it." I sighed. 

"Yeah, I don't know. Maybe." Sam says as his phone rang.

"Aren't you popular today?" I joked as he answered. 

"Hello?" Sam says. "Charlie?" His voice was worried now, making me glance over my shoulder at him. 

___

Charlie sat in the middle of the bed in our motel room, head tucked into her knee as she rocked back and forth. Sam, Dean, and I were covering up anything that had a reflection in it. 

Sam gestured to the TV, making Dean grab another sheet we'd found and toss it over the top. Sam took a seat next to Charlie. "Hey, hey, it's okay. Hey, you can open up your eyes, Charlie."

Charlie reluctantly lifted her head. 

"Now, listen," Sam continued, "you're gonna stay right here, on this bed and you'e not gonna look at glass or anything that has a reflection. Okay? As long as you do that, she cannot get you." 

"But I can't keep that up forever." Charlie replied, eyes turning toward Sam. "I'm gonna die, aren't I?"

"No, no. Not anytime soon." Sam assures her. 

Dean sat down on the foot of the bed next to where I stood. "Alright, Charlie, we need to know what happened." 

"We were in the bathroom, Donna said it." Charlie tells him. 

"That's not what we're asking, Charlie." I say.

"Something happened, didn't it?" Dean asked. "In your life. A secret where someone got hurt." 

Charlie was silent, not meeting anyone's eyes.

Dean licked his lips. "Can you tell us about it?" 

Charlie glanced over at him. "I had this boyfriend...I loved him, but he kind of scared me too, you know? And one night, at his house, we got in this fight. I broke up with him, and he got upset. He said he needed me, and he loved me. And he said, 'Charlie, if you walk out that door, I'll kill myself.' And you know what I said? I said go ahead, and I left." She paused, tears falling down her face. "How could I say that? How could I leave him like that? I just...didn't believe him. I should've."