Chapter 48

Shadow

Dean's POV

I walk into the hospital room where Si was. She was going to be okay. I move toward the bed where she lie unconscious. Her skin was pale, she had lost a lot of blood. The doctors said she should heal up nicely. 

I sit down in the chair beside her. I reach out, taking her cool hand in mine. "Hey, angel." I swipe my thumb across her knuckles. I'm not sure if she can hear me or not, but... "I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's all my fault. So, Si, when you're better, I'm taking you home. I don't want you in danger anymore. I can risk losing you. I just can't." 

I lift her hand, bringing her knuckles to my lips. 

"I'm gonna miss you like hell just like I always have, but, Si, I can't bring you along knowing I can't keep you safe." I continued. 

She stirs, blinking. A small smile crossed her face. Only Saige would smile after getting stabbed. "It's...it's not your fault. I'm not....Not going anywhere."

"Saige, I can't protect you.... You need to go home." I tell her.

"Why? So--So...I can go on hunts by myself and get hurt? You're here...I'm safe." She sounded like she truly believed that. She's stubborn when she wants to be. There's no way of talking her into going home. 

"If I kept you safe, you wouldn't be laying in a hospital bed right now." 

"If you didn't keep me safe, I would be dead right now." She counters. "Sometimes I'm going to get hurt...that's just life."

"But you shouldn't. They were...they...Saige, they were gonna do horrible things to you and I couldn't stop it. And you looked at me...you looked at me like I made it all better. All I could've done was watch as they--" 

"Dean." Si says, making me meet her eyes. Tears were brimming them. She set her hand on the side of my face. "It's alright. They didn't. And I looked at you because I knew that if all else failed, you would make it all okay. You take away my fear." 

I leaned into her touch. "After all of this, you still trust me?"

"With my life, just like normal." Si nodded her head.

"I still want you to go home."

"I'm still staying right by your side." She smiled. "Hey, now I really will be your hitchhiker." 

___

Two Weeks Later

Saige's POV

Dean parked the car, killing the engine. He got out of the car, opening my door before I could. Just like Sam and I--at Sam's request--Dean wore a jumpsuit. 'To sell the act', Sam had said. Since we were faking being from an alarm company.

"Hey, angel, you okay?" Dean asked, taking my hand as I got out of the car. 

"I'm alright, Dean, seriously." I assure him, pushing away the dull ache in my stomach from the stab would that was currently healing. 

Dean has been right by my side ever since. He's always checking on me, hardly letting me out of his sight. It's sweet. Even if every other day he was trying to convince me to go home. That was a little annoying. 

Dean and I walk to the trunk of the car. He unlocks it, grabbing the toolbox that held the EMF detector and few other odds and ends we might need. 

Sam got out of the car as Dean shut the trunk. "Alright, Dean, this is the place." 

"I feel so included right now Sammy." I patted his arm as I felt Dean's hand on my waist. 

"You know, I gotta say, Dad and me did just fine without these stupid costumes." Dean remarked.