Chapter 20

Hook Man

"Oh, it's alright. I'm with him. It's fine." Dean tells the cops that wouldn't let us through the hospital hallway. Sam stood at the other end, talking to the sheriff. Lori's father, the reverend, had been attacked. "That's my brother." He continued, raising a hand in the air. "Hey, brother!" 

"Let them through." The sheriff told the police officers. 

"Thanks." Dean muttered as he grabbed my wrist, pulling me along down the hall.

Sam met us halfway. 

"You okay?" Dean asked.

"Yeah." Sam replied. 

"The hell happened?"   

"Hook Man." Sam whispered. 

"You saw him?"

"Damn right." Sam nodded.

"Oh, you're so lucky." I scoffed. 

"Why didn't you two torch the bones?" Sam asked. "Like, I get it, your weird sexual tension is strong and whatever, but people are dying." 

I blink. "What?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" Dean added. "We did torch the bones. What did you think we were doing? Are you sure it's the spirit of Jacob Carnes?"

"It looked like him." Sam stated. "Another thing, I don't think the spirit is latching onto the reverend."

"Well, yeah, the guy wouldn't send Hook Man after himself." Dean nodded.

"That's kind of obvious." I added, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"I think it's latching onto Lori." Sam says. "Last night she found out her father's having an affair with a married woman." 

"So what." Dean shrugged.

I rolled my eyes, smacking Dean's arm.

"Ow." Dean complained, glaring at me. 

"So, she's upset about it. She's upset about the immorality of it." Sam stated. "She told me she was raised to believe if you do something wrong, you get punished."

"Okay, so she's conflicted." Dean nodded along. "And the spirit Carnes is latching onto her repressed emotions and maybe he's doing the punishing for her, huh?"

"Aren't you a genius?" I asked sarcastically. 

"Rich comes on to strong. Taylor tries to make her into a party girl. Dad has an affair." Sam says. 

"Sounds like she needs to surround herself with better people." I muttered. 

"Remind me not to piss this girl off." Dean sighed. 

"You mean you're capable of not annoying someone to anger?" I asked.

Dean shot me a look. "But we burned those bones, buried them in salt, why didn't that stop him?" 

"You must have missed something." Sam shrugged.

"No." Dean shook his head. "I burned everything in that coffin."

"Did you get the hook?" 

"The hook?"

"Yes, the hook." I say. "That's what he just said." 

"It was a murder weapon. And, in a way, it was part of him." Sam states. 

"So, like the bones, the hook is the source of its power." Dean realized. 

"So if we find the hook..." Sam began.

"We stop the Hook Man." Sam and Dean say in unison.

I blink. "You done? We have a ghost to kill. Let's go."