Chapter 60

Dead Man's Blood 

I sighed as Dean flipped to the last side of the newspaper while Sam clicked away at his laptop. "You know, most of the time when friends go out to lunch it's to talk and bond and what have you." I point out. "Not ignore one another."

Dean folded up the paper, dropping it onto the table. "Alright, well, there's not a decent lead in all of Nebraska. You two got anything?"

"I didn't want to talk about work." I state.

"Well, too bad." Dean smiled at me.

"Well, I've been scanning Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota. Here, a woman in Iowa fell 10,000 feet from an airplane and survived." Sam began. 

Dean shrugged. "Sounds more like that's incredible then Twilight Zone. Hey, you know, we-- we could just keep heading east. New York. Upstate. You could stop by and see Sarah again. Huh? She's a cool chick, man. Smoking." He whistles. I rolled my eyes, smacking his arm. "You two seem pretty friendly. What do you say?"

"I don't know. Maybe someday." Sam says. "But in the meantime, we got a lot of work to do, Dean. You know that."

"But does he?" I asked. "I'm sure taking a weekend off won't kill us." 

Dean rolled his eyes. "Yeah, you're right. What else you got?"

My breath caught in my throat when I felt Dean's fingertips brush over my ankle under the table. His fingers moved upward then, stopping at the back of my knee and going down again.

"Uh, Manning, Colorado, a local man by the name of Daniel Elkins was found Mauled in his home." Sam tells us. 

"Elkins? I know that name." Dean says, fingers stilling against my skin. 

"Doesn't ring a bell." Sam shrugged.

"Sorry, but I don't think it does either." I ran my hand over Dean's bicep, feeling his fingers brush along my leg again. 

"Sounds like the police don't know what to think." Sam continued as Dean suddenly pulled his hand away and grabbed John's journal from the bag sitting by our feet. "At first they said it was some sort of bear attack, and now they found signs of robbery."

"Maybe it was Yogi. Were the picnic baskets still there?" I asked as Dean flipped through the journal.

I rested my chin in the palm of my hand, elbow on the table. I sighed. I missed Dean's touch. Now that everything had gone silent once more, I was bored.

"Here you go." Dean flipped his father's journal around for Sam to read. 

"You think it's the same Elkins?" Sam asked, glancing up from the phone number and name. 

"It's Colorado area code." Dean says. 

___

I always enjoyed our trips to Colorado. I loved the views. The snow-covered mountains in the horizon. It was probably one of my favorite destinations. 

Now as I stood beside Dean in the middle of the woods as Sam picked the lock to the cabin, I realized that this would be a nice place to live. It was quiet, out of the way, the nearest neighbor was miles away. The property was beautiful and covered in snow. 

I wonder how good of a deal I could get seeing as a man was just murdered here. 

A shiver ran down my spine. I shook my arms at my sides, wishing I hadn't left my jacket at the motel. 

Dean clicked on his flashlight, setting an arm over my shoulder as we walked in. I tugged at the cuff of my long sleeve shirt, pulling it down to cover most of my hands.