Chapter 63

Hi! I just wanted to say that this is the last official chapter of book one. I am so excited for the next book and I just wanted to say a quick thank you for all being here. I will do a more proper thank you in the next chapter which will just be an author's note. So I hope you enjoy. Have fun!

Devil's Trap 

Sam and Dean held John up as we walked toward the door of the apartment. Suddenly, it flung open and a fireman and another man walked in. 

They were clearly possessed by demons because they had that 'I am going to kill you and eat your soul' look. 

The two brothers quickly turned and we headed back into the bedroom where we had found John. 

Sam slammed the door shut, locking it. 

Seconds later, an axe broke through the door. I tossed Sam the salt from the bag. He knelt down, pouring it in a line in front of the door so the demons couldn't cross even if they broke down the door, which they were clearly succeeding at. 

"Sam, let's go." Dean yelled. "Si, get your ass out here." 

I turn to the window where Dean had already pulled John out onto the fire escape. 

I crawled through the window with Sam following behind me. He turned to salt the windowsill. 

I tried to ignore how high up we were. It was a bad time for my--previously thought to be conquered--fear of heights to return. 

Dean jumped down to the sidewalk, helping John down as well.

Pulling in a breath, I jumped. My feet hit the ground gentler than I thought they would. All because Dean had caught me, hands on my hips to help me down. 

Sam jumped down next. Dean slung on of John's arms over his shoulder, pulling him along as Sam and I took the lead.

Suddenly, I was tackled to the pavement. My back hit first, knocking the air from my lungs. For a second, I couldn't breathe as I stared up at the black-eyed demon before me. 

I was pinned beneath him, struggling to get free. 

I was vaguely aware of Sam also getting attacked and Dean rushing to our aid.

My eyes watered, pain rocketing through my skull as the demon's fist connected with my face. He wrapped his hands around my throat, squeezing. 

I clawed at his hands, struggling to pull in a breath. 

I heard a crashing sound and I saw Dean getting thrown into a nearby car. 

My vision began to blur as my lungs spasm, begging for air. Black spots danced in my vision.

Then I felt something in my chest. A burning feeling as if someone had lit a match in my body. My hands that were still clawing at the demon's began to sting as if I were pricked by thousands of tiny needles. 

Then the demon pinning me down began to squirm, retracting his hands from my neck and ripping my own off of his as if my hands were burning his skin. 

I gulped in air, coughing slightly. The stinging in my hands and burning in my chest didn't go away though. 

I looked up as my vision cleared to see the demon scrambling away from me, but he didn't move. He couldn't...?

The demon's eyes met mine and I saw fear in them. 

Then suddenly the demon started clawing at his throat as if he couldn't breathe. 

I couldn't bring myself to move. I was paralyzed by fear of my own. I didn't know what was happening. I look down to see my hand rested on the demon's knee.