Chapter 19

Hook Man

"I saved your ass." Dean tells Sam as we walked out of the police department. "Talked the sheriff down to a fine. Dude, I'm Matlock." 

"But how?" Sam asked.

"Told him you were a dumbass pledge, and we were hazing you. I also told him that I convinced Saige here that a good first date would be hazing a dumbass pledge. She was going to be our wonderful little camera women." Dean chuckled.

"What about the shotgun?" 

"I told him that you were hunting ghosts and that spirits were repelled by rock salt. You know, typical hell week prank."

"And he believed you?"

"Well, you look like a dumbass pledge." 

"Plus, the best lies are formed from the truth." I added. "I am so glad I'm not going to prison."

Once we reached the car, the sound of running footsteps make me look over. A bunch of officers were jumping into their cars, speeding off as sirens blare. 

"That's not good." I muttered. 

___

I watch out the window as we drive by the crime scene. Officers and paramedics were everywhere, surrounding the sorority house. Lori sat on the back of an ambulance with a bunch of other girls with her. 

Dean parked the car around the back of the house. I get out of the car, closing the door behind me. We sneaked through the trees and between the garage and bushes. 

"Why would the Hook Man have come here?" Sam asked quietly as we move along the side of the sorority house, trying to keep out of sight of the many cops and college girls wandering around. "This is a long way from Nine-Mile Road."

"Maybe he's not haunting the scene of his crime, maybe it's about something else." Dean suggested. 

The sound of footsteps made us duck behind a wall. I felt Dean's arm against my stomach, pushing me behind him to block me from sight. 

"Dude, sorority girls." Dean says as Sam climbs up the side of the building. "Think we'll see a naked pillow fight?"

I shake my head, following Sam's lead. "Come on, Dean." 

"Sam, move it. I'm going to lose my--" I yelp as my fingers slip from the edge of the building and I'm flying toward the ground. I brace myself for the impact of hitting the ground, but it never comes. Instead, I land in two strong arms. I open my eyes, meeting Dean's green ones. "Grip." I breathe out the last word of my sentence. 

I felt Dean's hands on me, arms around my waist as he held me off the ground. 

"Careful." Dean tells me, voice low. 

I stare at him, frozen, unable to move. 

A smile broke out on his face after a second. "Did it hurt?"

"What? Huh? What do you mean?"

"When you fell for me?" Dean asked teasingly. 

Yeah, it did.

"You're ridiculous." I smile, shaking my head as I push away from him. 

I clear my throat, jumping up and barely catching ahold of the edge. Dean helped me up onto the roof before pulling himself up as well. 

"Took you two long enough." Sam scoffed as he stood by the window, waiting for us. He turned, climbing through the window. 

Dean followed suit. "Sorry." I heard him say after a thump echoed.