Chapter 34

Faith

I sat next to Dean in Roy's house as Sue Ann poured us each a cup of tea. 

"I feel great. Just trying to, you know, make sense of what happened." Dean says. 

"A miracle is what happened." Sue Ann states, taking a seat. "Miracles come so often around Roy."

"When did they start? The miracles?" Dean asked. 

"Woke up one morning stone blind." Roy began. "Doctors figured out I had cancer. Told me I had maybe a month. So, uh, we prayed for a miracle. I was weak, but I told Sue Ann you just keep right on praying. I went into a coma. Doctors said I wouldn't wake up, but I did. And the cancer was gone. If it wasn't for these eyes, no one would believe I ever had it." 

"And suddenly you could heal people?" I asked.

"I discovered it afterwards, yes." Roy nodded his head. "God's blessed me in many ways."

"And his flock just swelled overnight." Sue Ann spoke up. "And this is just the beginning."

"Can I ask you one last question?" Dean says.

"Of course you can." Roy tells him.

Dean licked his lips. "Why? Why me? Out of all the sick people, why save me?" 

"Well, like I said before, the Lord guides me. I looked into your heart and you just stood out from all the rest."

"What did you see in my heart?" 

"A young man with an important purpose, a job to do. And it isn't finished." 

___

Dean's hand was on my waist as we walked out of Roy's house. Layla was walking up the stairs.

"Dean." She greeted, smiling at him. "Saige." 

"Hey." Dean says.

"How you feeling?" 

Like I want to jump off of a cliff.

"I feel good, cured." Dean answered. "What are you doing here?"

"You know, my mom, she wanted to talk to the reverend." Layla gestured to the older woman walked up the stairs. 

"Layla." Sue Ann smiled. 

"Yes. We're here again." 

"I'm sorry, but Roy's resting. He won't be seeing anyone else right now." 

"Sue Ann, please. This is our sixth time, he's got to see us." Layla's mom says. 

"Roy is very aware of Layla's situation. And he really wants to help just as soon as the Lord allows." 

"Dean, we should go now." I slip my hand under his arm, resting it against his bicep. 

Layla's mother turned to Dean as Sue Ann walked away. "Why are you still even here? You got what you wanted."

"Mom, stop." Layla says. 

"No, Layla, this is too much. We've been to every single service. If Roy would stop choosing these strangers over you. Strangers who don't even believe. I just can't pray any harder."

"Layla, what's wrong?" Dean asked. 

"I have this thing." Layla began. 

"It's a brain tumor." Her mother says. "It's inoperable. In six months, the doctors say..."

"I'm sorry." Dean and I tell the two.

"It's okay." Layla smiled.

"No." Her mother continued. "It isn't. Why do you deserve to live more than my daughter."