Chapter 25

Home

"You and John Winchester, you used to own this garage together?" Dean asked as we followed the mechanic through the building.

"Yeah, we used to, long time ago." He answered. "Matter of fact, it's been...twenty years since John disappeared. So why are the cops interested all of a sudden?"

"We're reopening some of our cold cases. The Winchester disappearance is one of them." Dean answered.

"Uh-huh. Well, what do you wanna know about John?"

"Whatever you remember. You know, whatever sticks out in your mind."

"He was a stubborn bastard, I remember that. And whatever the game, he hated to lose. You know, it was that whole Marine thing. Oh, he sure loved Mary. And he doted on those kids."

"But that was before the fire?" Sam asked.

"That's right."

"He ever talk about that night?"

"Nah, not at first. I think he was in shock."

"Right. But eventually...what did he say about it?"

"Oh, he wasn't thinking straight. He said something...he said something caused that fire and killed Mary. He had this buddy, I forget his name, but he owns a farm about ten miles up that way." He pointed. "He kept filling John's head with crazy crap. Or encouraging the crazy crap, at least."

Dad? He was the one that told John about everything hunting?

"He ever say what did it?" Dean asked.

"Nothing did it. It was an accident. Electrical short in the ceiling or the wall or something. I begged him to get some help, but..."

"But what?"

"It just got worse and worse."

"How?"

"Oh, he started reading these strange old books that, uh, oh, Dawson, Dawson was the name. He gave him the books. Started going to see this palm reader in town."

"Palm reader. You have a name?" Dean asked.

"No."

___

"You know, I never knew my dad was one of the first people to tell John about the whole hunting thing." I leaned against the side of the car. "I just thought it was a well-kept secret until John figured it out."

"Turns out you thought wrong." Dean nudged my arm. "Puzzle Girl."

"Please don't start that again. I was Puzzle Girl for years. I am done."

"Alright, so there are a few psychics and palm readers in town." Sam states as he stood at the phone booth. "There's someone named El Divino. There's the mysterious--" Sam laughed, "Mr. Forensky. Missouri Mosley. Some dude--"

"Wait, wait. Missouri Mosley?" Dean asked.

"What?"

"That's a psychic?"

"Uh, yeah, yeah, I guess so."

Dean moved to grab the journal from the backseat of the car. "Dad's journal. Here, look at this. First page, first sentence. Read that."

Sam walked over to us, grabbing the book. "'I went to Missouri and I learned the truth."

"I always thought he meant the state." Dean shrugged.

"Nope, he meant some palm reading chick." I sighed.

___

We sat in a small room by the front door of a house. Sam and Dean were on the couch across from me as I sat in the armchair. I was flipping through a magazine as Dean nudged my leg with his foot.