Chapter 30

Scarecrow 

I tried to pull myself from Dean's arms, only for him to groan, wrap his arm around me and pull me back. 

"Dad?" Sam asked. "Are you hurt?"

Dean's hand had slipped under my shirt, up my side and was dangerously close a place he hadn't touched in a long time that would complicate this situation a lot. I wrap my fingers around his wrist, sliding his hand lower before lifting it off of my skin and wiggling out from his grip. 

"We've been looking for you everywhere." Sam tells John. I couldn't hear the reply from the phone. 

Dean stirred, groaning again at my movement. 

"We didn't know where you were, if you were okay." Sam says. 

Dean blinked, glancing around. 

"Well, we're fine." Sam tells his father. "Dad, where are you?"

Dean sat up now, the sheet falling from his chest now only covering his lap. 

"What?" Sam asked, baffled. "Why not?"

"Is that dad?" Dean asked. 

"I believe he stated that, yes." I whispered. 

"You're after it, aren't you?" Sam asked. "The thing that killed mom." 

Another pause as John replied.

"A demon? You know for sure?" Sam asked. 

Dean began grabbing his shirt from the pile of clothes at the foot of the bed--some of which were in fact mine. I huffed, resisted the urge to roll my eyes as he slipped the article of clothing over his head. 

I should just light all of his shirts on fire.

"A demon, what's he saying?" Dean asked. 

"You know where it is?" Sam asked.

I sighed, admiring how the fabric hugged the muscles of Dean's arms. Okay, maybe I'll leave him, like, one. 

"Let us help." Sam begged.

Right, yes, important demons to kill. Focus, Saige. 

Dean held his hand out. "Give me the phone."

"Why not?" Sam asked, ignoring Dean. "Names? What names? Dad? Talk to me. Tell me what's going on." He paused for a few moments. "No. Alright? No way."

"Give me the phone." Dean demanded. 

"Tell him I'm buying him a toaster for Christmas." I tell Sam. "It'll brighten the mood." 

Both brothers turn to give me a look.

"Okay, never mind. Didn't brighten the mood." I muttered.

Dean leaned over, snatching the phone from Sam. "Dad. It's me. Where are you?" He paused as John told him to write down the names he was about to list off and to stop trying to find him. "Yes, sir. Uh, yeah. I got a pen." He turned to me, mouthing the word pen.

I leaned over him, grabbing the pen from my bag by the table. "Here." I handed it to him. 

"What are the names?" Dean asked. 

___

"Alright, so the names dad gave us? They're all couples?" Sam asked as he glanced over from the dark road ahead. 

Dean was in the passenger seat, eyes on the notes in his hand. "Three different couple, all went missing." 

"So is the moral of the story don't go on a road trip with your boyfriend or girlfriend?" I asked.