CHAPTER 43 : HATRED

#SAT9S

DEDICATED TO : JEAN TOMASINO

CHAPTER 43 : HATRED

I never consider their break-up as an opportunity. I got sleepless nights thinking about their separation and I found myself dying in curiosity. It was hard to believe at first considering that those two didn't have a great start and it took them a long journey before they clicked. They'd been together for years and years of being in a relationship was not easy to ponder. I was thinking about Ren. Why did he let Rhea slipped away? Same with Rhea. Why did she let Ren go? I couldn't imagine. Napakahirap isiping parehas silang bumitaw lalo na't inakala kong matatag sila.

I didn't have the guts to asked Tito Robi since it's a personal matter and not totally my business. His flight to NZ was postponed three days after his birthday 'coz he got some business to finish. He asked me if I have a few free days to spend ,so he could trade his trip with me instead. Pumayag ako at pinaunlakan ang alok ni Tito. We set an agreement and I decided to go in New Zealand to pay Rhea a visit and congratulate her personally as she passed the board examination. Also, to explain his father's absence. Ang sabi sa akin ni Tito ay mali-late rin daw sina Kuya Ryan at Kuya Roy sa pagpunta ro'n kaya ang kasama lang magcelebrate ni Rhea ay si Kuya Rex.

I was excited to see her again. The last time I saw Rhea was on her 18th Birthday. That was also the last time we talked and she assured to me that she's perfectly fine with Ren. The scene that made me cut all my hopes.
I was holding her but there was a few inches of distance between us. I felt a little bit cold but her radiant smile took all the unnecessary feelings. Nakakatabang lang pag pumapasok sa isip kong hindi naman ako ang rason kung bakit malaki ang ngiti niya. I wanted to pull her closer but I know that her boyfriend was watching intently few meters away from the stage, so I didn't dare. Respect is the meanest gift the I can offer.

"You looked happy." I smiled at her, concealing my own feeling. I won't let her see my pain. Not on her big day. That would only make the guilt as big as her happiness, or might be bigger. I didn't want that to happen.

She nodded. Her smile widened. "Sobra bang obvious?"

I chuckled. "Ren did a great job, eh?"

"We're doing great."

"I'm happy for the both of you."

"Dapat masaya ka rin para sa sarili mo, Coby." She said sincerely. "Dapat humanap ka na rin nang magpapasaya sayo."

I answered nothing but a weary smile. Gusto ko sabihing saka na lang. Pag naka-get over na ako sa kanya. But I prefer not to translate my thoughts into words to avoid complication. Ayokong maawa siya sa akin nung time na 'yon.

Nang matapos ang kanta ay binigay ko siya kay Ren. Ayos lang sana sa aking panuorin silang nagsasayaw pero ang makita siyang hinahalikan ni Ren ay hindi ko kayang tagalan. So, I turned my back and left the venue without saying goodbye to anyone. 'Yon na siguro ang pinakamasakit na tanawing makikita nang isang tulad kong hindi napagbigyan.

Si Kuya Rex ang nagsundo sa akin sa airport. Malamig ang klima pero ganito rin naman sa Korea kaya hindi ko ininda.

"Rhea will be delighted. Sa wakas ay may dumalaw sa kanyang kaibigan. Kadalasan kasi siya pa ang sumasadya sa America para bisitahin si Anne." Sabi ni Kuya Rex nang nasa daan na kami.

"Nasabihan ako ni Tito Robi."

"Nasabi nga rin sa akin ni Dad. Buti nga hindi sumama ang loob ni Rhea. She said she understand. Kahit naman dati, busy talaga si Dad sa work. Babawi naman 'yon pag natuloy na siya." Nagkibit-balikat si Kuya Rex. "Ilang araw ka rito?"