Lucky.

Greg strode distressingly into the living room, his heart pounded against his chest as he viciously pulled the curtains across the window. He then stopped for a moment, his gaze dropped to the floor and he took a deep breath, before he unexpectedly switched and began to turn the room upside down, smashing everything in sight as tears streamed down his face. He then stopped again, his gaze wandered across the room as he looked at the destruction he'd just caused. He gradually looked up at his reflection. He blinked hard in attempt to suppress the tears in his eyes. He tried to steady his anger as he took another deep breath, but once again, he switched and abruptly lunged forward and struck the mirror hard with his fist, he let out cry as he sunk to the floor and began to sob as he hugged his knees tightly, hoping you would be back home soon.

***

"GREGORY!" You chirped as you opened the front door "I'm home!" You sang, as you happily skipped into the living room. The smile on your face instantly dropped as you walked into the room to see Greg sat on the floor, his head buried into his lap, broken glass and other items scattered around him. He slowly looked up at you, his smouldering brown eyes, all bloodshot and puffy from his tears "W-what happened?" You murmured. He went to speak, but instead started to cry again. You instantly ran over to him and knelt by his side. He instantly nuzzled against you and you held him tightly as he rested his head against your chest "Greg, what's wrong?" you said, as you tenderly brushed your fingers through his hair.

There were a few moments silence before he slowly looked up at you, his eyes glazed with his tears as he tried to speak again, but couldn't. You sighed and cupped your hand across his cheek "Talk to me baby" You murmured, as he dropped his gaze again. You'd been dating Greg for a little over 2 years and you'd never seen him cry, and to see him in this state absolutely tore you apart. He stressfully wiped his hand across his eyes "I was on a case..." He began to say feebly "And.. I.." He stopped again, as he broke down in tears. You instantly pulled him into you again and tenderly stroked the back of his neck "Greg, you're worrying me now" You said, He suddenly pulled away from your embrace and looked up at you again.

Your eyes locked in an intense gaze for a few moments, before he finally said something again "I watched a child die in front of me today" He said. Your eyes widen as you watched him intensely "She was 5 years old and she was killed by her own mother" He said, a feeble sob escaped his lips "Oh Greg" You said as you tenderly grazed your thumb against his cheek "I'm so sorry" You said. He slowly shook his head "It was my fault. It was my fault (Y/N)" He murmured weakly. You instantly shook your head "No, don't say that. It wasn't your fault" You insisted. He nodded "It was. She shouldn't have been on the scene but I made the decision to take her there" He said, as he stressfully ran his hand through his hair. You watched him profoundly as he literally fell apart in front of you and you could do nothing to stop it.

"I stood and watched the life drain out of her little body" His voice cracked as he spoke "I saw the fear in her eyes as the bullet shot out of that gun and hit her. She was 5 years old, (Y/N). 5 years is no life" You sighed despondently as you had no idea what to say him. Greg had witnessed many horrible things since you'd started dating him, but he'd never been so cut up about them before, he was beside himself and so were you as you watched him break down. You leisurely leant forward and pressed a kiss to his forehead "You can't blame yourself. You didn't tell her to do what she did" You said as you rested your forehead against his, you felt his arms tighten around you, before he looked affectingly into your eyes "I know, but-..."

"No buts, you couldn't have done anything Greg. Stop blaming yourself. You're a good man" You said. He took another deep breath "Did you need anything? Shall I run you a hot bath or something?" You questioned. Greg slowly shook his head, a crooked smile on his face. The first time he'd smiled since you got home "Just hold me" He whispered, You smiled affectionately at him before you tightly wrapped your arms around him, and you felt him relax into your arms as you, yourself relaxed beside him.                                                                                                                                                                                                 "Oh Greg" You murmured, He took a deep breath as he began to feel himself relax as he listened to pounding beat of your heart "Never blame yourself for something like this" You said as you tenderly stroked his hair. His eyes began to slowly close, a sudden feeling of fatigue taking over his body. You slowly peered down at him to see him nuzzled peacefully into the crook of your neck "Greg" You murmured as you brushed your fingers through his hair. He stirred and let out a soft groan, You smiled affectionately down at him "You silly man" You murmured as you pressed a kiss to his forehead "My silly man" You added.

***

You were slowly woken as you felt Greg shift in your lap. You opened your eyes and suddenly remembered what had happened a few hours earlier. It all felt like a dream to you, You'd never seen Greg get that emotional. It was painful for you to watch "Greg" You whispered "Mhmm" He said, before he slowly opened his eyes and looked up at you. He half smiled at you and slowly sat up to look around the room. He took a deep breath and stressfully ran his hands through his hair "Don't say anything" You warned "I'll clean it up" You said as you promptly got up "I'll get you some water" You then announced as you made your way to the kitchen.

You quickly grabbed a glass from the cupboard before you made your way over to the tap. Suddenly you felt Greg behind you. You smiled as he wrapped his arms around your waist and nestled his head on your shoulder "Thank you" He whispered, as he brushed his lips against your neck "For what?" You questioned as you turned to face him. He took a deep breath and cupped his hands on your cheeks "Being here for me. I don't know what I'd have done without you" He said, a crooked smile on his face "Of course I'll always be here for you. You're my hotshot detective boyfriend" You smirked as you fiddled with the collar of his shirt. He laughed lightly, before he dropped his gaze to the floor, you watched him intensely as you saw his smouldering brown eyes holding such vulnerability.

"Gregory Lestrade" You said, He slowly looked up at you again "You are a great detective and a damn good man. But you can't get every case right" You said "Once in a while, something bad will happen and there will be nothing you can do to stop it" You added "I want no but's and if's. That's just how it is" A small smile grew on his face "I know..." You promptly put your finger to his lip "No But's" You said sternly. He laughed lightly and nodded in agreement "Now... What did you want to do for the rest of the night?" You questioned. His gaze slowly turned to the living room "What about the mess?" He questioned. You waved your hand dismissively "I'll do that tomorrow" You replied "Can we just go to bed? I feel so drained" He murmured shyly. You nodded "Yes, of course we can" You smiled and he smiled affectionately back at you, before he pressed a kiss to your lips "God, I'm so lucky to have you" He said. You shook your head "No, I'm lucky to have you" You smiled.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys. So... I thought I would upload another one of these for you. I am working on the next chapter of The Devil's Charm (Go check it out if you haven't read it) But I thought I would upload another one of these for you, because they are relatively quick to write and I love reading all the comments you leave. Y'all are so lovely! :D 

Anyway, Thank you for all the comments/votes/reads. I can't believe this is nearly at 1k! Thank you guys so much. I hope you enjoy this one! x