Phonecall // Part 2 .

Two nurses rushed back into the room as you continued to scream for help "He just squeezed my hand!" You explained as the two nurses rushed to the other side of Greg's bed. You watched Greg intensely as he slowly began to stir until he finally opened his eyes.

"Greg!" You exclaimed excitedly, Greg smiled weakly at you and clenched your hand again "I hope I didn't scare you too much" He murmured. You chuckled lightly and moved your hand down to his thigh "At least you're okay now" You said as you squeezed his thigh. Greg looked fretfully down at your hand.

"Do that again" He said, his eyes wide and full of fear. You squeezed your hand around Greg's thigh again and his breath hitched as you did so. You looked at him in confusion "What is it?" You questioned. Greg stared at your hand for a few moments longer, before he looked up at you "I can't feel anything" He mumbled. You gasped at his revelation, unsure of what to think or say "(Y/N)" One of the nurses said. You promptly looked over to them and they both smiled sympathetically at you "We need you to leave us with Mr Lestrade for a few minutes, so we can check him over" One of them said softly.

You anxiously looked over to Greg, who nodded gradually at you "Go on. I'll be fine" He said, a warm smile on his face. You half smiled at him, before you got up and pressed a kiss to his forehead "Call me when I can come and see him again" You said. The nurses both nodded and with that, you left the room.

When you walked out into the corridor, Sherlock, John and Mary were there to greet you. You took one look at Sherlock and instantly burst into tears. He promptly offered his arms out to you and you ran into them, hugging him tightly. He tenderly stroked the back of your hair "What happened?" Sherlock murmured nervously. You took a deep breath and looked up at Sherlock "He said he couldn't feel his legs" You replied feebly.

Sherlock, John and Mary all gasped at your words and you couldn't help but burst into tears again. This time Mary stepped up to comfort you "He'll be alright my love" Mary said softly. You took a deep breath and released yourself from Mary's grip "But... But what if, he can't-"

"No (Y/N). Stop it. Just be strong for him" Sherlock said sternly, placing a firm hand on your shoulder "Sherl, ease up" John scolded. You took a deep breath and shook your head "Sherlock's right. It's not good for Greg if I think like that" You explained.

John then placed his hand on your shoulder, gently grazing his thumb across your t-shirt "How about we go and get something to eat? Get out of here for an hour or so" John suggested. You bit your lip indecisively at his suggestion "Go on" Sherlock said, looking attentively at you "I'll stay here. I'll call you when anything happens" He said. You shook your head "I want to be the first to know anything" You said. Sherlock nodded reassuringly at you "You will be. I promise" He said.

You sighed and nodded reluctantly. You could really do with some fresh air right now "Okay, but ring me as soon as they know anything" You said. Sherlock nodded and hugged you tightly "You have my word" He paused "Stay strong for him" He murmured in your ear. You nodded as a tear rolled down your cheek.

***

You'd been sat in the pub across the street from the hospital for an hour and 17 minutes, and all you'd done is stare down at your phone, waiting for Sherlock to call. You hadn't touched your food in fear you would just throw it back up again. You just couldn't function properly without knowing Greg was okay.

Suddenly, your phone began to ring. You looked up at John and Mary sat opposite you, a fretful look on your face "Would you like me to answer it?" John questioned. You nodded as you anxiously bit your nails, watching John intensely. "Sherlock" John said as he answered the phone. You looked at him in anticipation as he listened to Sherlock on the other end, before he simply said "Yes" and put the phone down.