20 Years // Part 1. {Sherlock/Lestrade}

To: Sherlock

Are you coming tonight?

From: Sherlock

I am on my way. Stop texting me!

I am approximately 8 minutes away now.

"Did Sherlock reply?" Greg questioned as he came back with drinks for the two of you. You looked up at him and smiled appreciatively as he handed you your drink "Yes, he did. He's like 5 minutes away" You replied. Greg nodded and swiftly downed his drink "Greg, don't drink so fast. You're going to get drunk" You warned. Greg shrugged and smiled carelessly "We're meant to be celebrating, I can over-do it a little bit, can't I?" Greg pouted and cocked his head to one side, looking attentively at you.

You sighed and nodded "I guess so. You deserve it" You said. Greg grinned from ear to ear and threw his arms around you. You were at a bar in Mayfair to celebrate Greg's recent promotion and 10th year of working at Scotland Yard. The commissioner at the Yard, Harry, had hired out an entire bar for the celebration, inviting colleagues, friends and family to celebrate Greg's night.

Greg smiled affectionately at you "Thank you for getting me through this" He said, his forehead rested against yours "This one's all you" You murmured and pressed a soft kiss to his lips "I got you a present" You said. A grin spread across Greg's face at your words "You didn't have to get me anything" Greg said "It's only a little something" You replied. You then opened your clutch bag and pulled out a small box with a red bow on top "Well done Greg. You deserve it so much and I'm lucky to have you" You said as you handed him the box.

He smiled affectionately as he took the box, carefully lifting the lid. His eyes lit up as he caught sight of the Hugo Boss cufflinks you'd brought him earlier today. "(Y/N)...." He said, before he lost his trail of thought, too surprised to string a sentence together "Now, you can look smart at work" You smiled. He chuckled and pressed a kiss to your lips, his hand resting lightly on your cheek "Thank you. I love you" He said. You smiled as your eyes locked intensely with his "I love you too" You replied.

"Oh Jesus. Please spare me this intimate display tonight" A smile twitched on your lips as you heard Sherlock's voice behind you. You instantly turned around to see him staring sterned faced at the two of you "Don't mind him. He's grumpier than usual tonight" John said, appearing from behind Sherlock. You laughed and proceeded to give Sherlock a hug. You felt Sherlock stiffen at your touch, his arms firmly by his side, making no effort to hug you back.

You'd known Sherlock since you were 13 years old. You attended the same school, and for the first year of knowing him, you never spoke to him. Nobody did, he was labelled the 'freak' by your classmates, and it was social suicide to be seen with him. But one day, something just clicked in your head, and you made the bold decision to speak to him at lunch time, the decision changing your life forever.

"So, the party starts at six tonight. you can all come round mine at 5" your friend, Alice announced to the group "cool, we'll be there" everyone replied.

"hey! (y/n)" you instantly broke your gaze from the curly haired boy sat despondently nibbling at his sandwich on a bench nearby, and turned to your other friend, Johnny.

A smirk curled on his lips as he looked over to the boy "why you staring at him for?" He questioned. you shrugged, slightly embarrassed your friend had realised what you were staring at.

"he's so gross. he's in my science class. his name's Sherlock and he's such a freak" Alice interjected. The group laughed and Johnny looked back over to him. "Look at him, what a weirdo" he laughed.