The Holmes Blessing

Greg stood nervously in the middle of the living room in 221b. He took a deep breath and knotted his fingers together as he tried to muster up the courage to speak.

"Christ Greg. Would you just get to the point already?" Mycroft groaned and rolled his eyes as he looked down at the face of his rolex watch "I have much better things to be doing with my time than watching you turn into a nervous mess" He said "And you think I don't?" Sherlock scoffed and look over to his brother.

Mycroft simply smirked in amusement "Okay... Okay, I'm sorry" Greg said, holding his hands up in defence "And why do you need both of us here?" Mycroft questioned "You rarely speak to me anyway" He added. Sherlock rose his hand and nodded in agreement "That is a very good point Mycroft. Why is he here?" Sherlock asked. Greg shut his eyes, trying to block out the noise coming from the Holmes brothers.

"Just shut up for one second" Greg blurted out stressfully. He opened his eyes again to the two of them staring at him in disbelief. Mycroft waved his hand in a regal fashion, gesturing for Greg to carry on talking. Greg took another deep breath before he spoke "Well... The reason I asked you two here today is... is to ask for you blessing" Greg said.

Both Mycroft and Sherlock stared at Greg in confusion "Blessing?" They said in unison. Greg huffed in annoyance "Yes" He paused "Your blessing to marry (Y/N)" Greg explained. Mycroft and Sherlock's mouth practically dropped to the floor at Greg's words "Marry?" Sherlock said "As in Husband and Wife?" Mycroft added. Greg nodded slowly, nervously watching the two of them.

It was Valentine's day and Greg desperately wanted to propose to you tonight when he took you out for dinner, but he knew there wasn't a chance in hell he could do that without asking your brother's, Sherlock and Mycroft first. Ever since Greg began to date you three years ago, they'd had a very hard time dealing with the fact you had a serious boyfriend and they had a very hard time dealing with that fact it was Greg Lestrade.

Mycroft and Sherlock both sat there in silence, completely gobsmacked at Greg's revelation "Should you not ask our father?" Sherlock said. Greg nodded "I have" Greg explained "But he and I thought that it would best if I asked the two of you as well" Greg explained "Why?" Mycroft said "Father never asks for our approval on anything" Mycroft added. Sherlock looked over to Mycroft again, his brow furrowed "That is another very good point brother" He said. Mycroft widened his eyes and nodded "I am full of good points Sherlock" He replied.

"Boys" Greg said. Sherlock and Mycroft both looked over to Greg again "Yes" They said together "I've asked you a very important question. I'd appreciate it if I could actually get an answer" Greg said. Mycroft crossed his legs casually and placed his hand under his chin "I don't think it is that straight forward Greg" Mycroft explained casually. Greg rolled his eyes "What do you mean?" He paused "Surely the fact that I love and care for her is enough" Greg said.

"Love is a weakness" Sherlock said "And caring is not an advantage" Mycroft added "How are you going to afford a wedding fit for our sister?" Sherlock said "Because she doesn't come cheap" He added. Greg rolled his eyes "With that attitude you're not going to get very far" Mycroft said "And if we do give you this blessing that you have asked for. You will be apart of the Holmes family" Mycroft paused and scratched his chin "And I'm not sure if that will significantly dent the reputation us Holmes's have" Mycroft explained.

"But (Y/N) will take my surname. She'll be a Lestrade, she won't be a Holmes" Greg explained. Sherlock and Mycroft looked at Greg in shock "(Y/N) is going to take your surname?" Sherlock questioned. Greg nodded "Oh no. You'll have to take ours" Mycroft paused "Unless you double barrel it... Holmes-Lestrade or Lestrade-Holmes" Mycroft added "That is if we give him the blessing" Sherlock said. Greg huffed and rolled his eyes "Can't you see how much I love her? Please just give me this blessing. That's all I ask. I don't want to ever be without her" He said.

"You don't want to ever be without who?" Greg instantly turned around to see you stood behind him, an innocent smile on your face as you looked over to him and then over at your brothers sitting awkwardly on the couch "What's up you two?" You questioned "You look like you're being told off" Sherlock and Mycroft innocently shook their heads and smiled innocently at you.

"Greg?" You questioned, looking back over to Greg "What's going on?" You asked. Greg sighed and ran his hand down the back of his neck "I just wanted to talk to your brothers" He explained. You laughed at his response "I can see that. But what about?" You questioned. Greg awkwardly bit his lip and looked over to Sherlock and Mycroft, who were just sat watching the two of you sheepishly.

"Greg" You said again "Is everything okay? What's the matter?" You said. Greg looked up at you and stared intensely at you, before he dropped his gaze to the floor. You waited anxiously for Greg to say something. You watched him for what seemed like an eternity when he finally lifted his gaze to you. His eyes were glazed over from what looked like forming tears and he looked like he was going to break down any second.

"All I want is to be with you for the rest of my life" He mumbled. You nodded and smiled warmly at him "And all I want to do is make you happy for as long as I can and as long as you will let me" He continued "What's brought all this on?" You questioned. Greg took a deep breath "We've been together for 3 years now and being your boyfriend just isn't enough for me anymore" Greg said.

Greg then gradually knelt down on one knee and looked attentively up at you "(Y/N). Will you marry me?" He said. You jaw dropped in surprise as Greg pulled a ring from his pocket "Yes" You said instantly. Greg then promptly jumped up and wrapped his arms tightly around you. Greg happily spun you around when his eyes locked with Sherlock and Mycroft, after exchanging glances for a few moments, they both nodded, sincere smiles on their faces. 

________

hey guys. i hope you all had a great week and i hope you enjoy this one shot! :)

i can't actually believe this book has 9k reads! crazy... Thank you so much for reading, commenting and voting for all the updates. it means a lot!

i hope you enjoy this one!