Shattered

Blade: "Why?"

I was constantly suspicious of Fang and his motives. He was . . .

Fang: "I felt like it. And why shouldn't I keep an eye on you? You're still unpredictable."

Unpredictable. How had he chosen the word I was going to use to describe him?

Blade: "Yeah. I'm the unpredictable one."

It was sarcasm, and NightFang actually laughed. And it was . . . nice.

Fang: "You may have a point. But I was concerned. You just played referee between old and new alliances."

Blade: "So?"

Fang: "So it was stressful. I know it was, Blade."

He really was concerned. He'd never called me that before. His desire to comfort me was stronger than his desire to make me one of . . . them. I wanted to change the subject to hide how intrigued I was by this.

Blade: "Well, what about you? Why'd you growl at JumpStart?"

It was a valid enough point. I mean, Jay hadn't done anything wrong.

Fang: "He was touching my alpha."

Or maybe, in Fang's optics, he had.

Blade: "Your alpha? Excuse me, but I don't belong to anyone!"

And I was very outraged at the presumption that I belonged to anyone, Bot or wolf.

Fang: "So you're saying that if Lithium was overly-affectionate towards me, you'd have no problem with it?"

Blade: "Why would I?"

I couldn't understand what he was getting at. I was feeling distracted . . . and then all I knew was Optimus. I was reliving every moment with him in fast forward, starting with the day I'd crashed into his foot and ending with our goodbye in the cave hours before. It was over almost as quickly as it had begun, but it was so vivid that it felt like a knife had been twisted in my spark.

Fang: "That's the reason, then? Optimus?"

Blade: "What?"

He was hitting too close to home after what had just happened. Did he know what I'd just seen?

Fang: "He's the reason you don't actually care for JumpStart. Or me. He's the reason you don't trust me."

Blade: "You saw that?"

Fang: "I did that. I was going through your mind to figure out why you're so reserved. It's because of him. You love him."

Well, I may have wondered before, but I was figuring out very quickly just how much of my mind Fang had access to. And he had no qualms about poking around every corner he possibly could.