Visions

Days faded to weeks, weeks to months, and before I knew it, I was reunited with Emery full time. We now spend many days in NYC, but the nights they spent there were torturous. I refused to rest those nights, and when we would return to base, I spent time in recharge, careful not to expose any fresh injuries to Emery. Especially any that involved energon. She freaked out when those ones showed up, so I’d learned quickly to keep them hidden.

    Tonight, in the darkened night life of NYC, Emery darted against the flowing river of people. pushing past here and there.

Emery: “MAKE WAY PEOPLE COMING THROUGH!”

    Her determined pace was not to be undermined by anyone, even a woman with a briefcase, as Emery shoved her way past roughly, sending papers flying.

Emery: “MOVE IT!”

    It was so frustrating that this was happening for, what? The fourth time? Fifth? Whatever the case, this was almost becoming a routine.

Blade: “EM!”

    I was driving alongside her path of ‘destruction’ through the traffic, wedging my way through spaces that shouldn’t have been possible, because, well, they weren’t. I’d had to subtly shrink my metal in the cover of the space in between cars, making the little ‘magic trick’ invisible.

Blade: “EM SLOW DOWN! YOU’RE GOING TO HURT SOMEONE!”

    I pulled close to the curb as I continued driving, trying to warn her to slower, more human-like speeds, but I had to dart away when another car blocked my path, only to pull back over to where she was continuing her mad dash.

Emery: “HAH! NO WAY JB! YOU EITHER HAVE TO PUSH AGAINST THE FLOW OR GET SWEPT AWAY!”

    She hollered back as she swerved into a deserted alleyway. She stopped and bent over, hands on her knees as she tried to catch her breath.

Emery: “Hah . . . ho yeah! Did you see the look on that guy’s face! That’ll teach him not to mess with Emery Johnes!”

    I checked my rear-view mirrors for any prying eyes, and found nothing. I transformed to my Cybertronian mode, crouching down near Emery.

Blade: “Em are you crazy? You could’ve broken that guy’s jaw!”

Emery: “Hey! He tried to lay one on me! No boy does that and gets away with it!”

    She blew on her knuckles, the ones she’d, unfortunately, used to bruise the kid’s face.

Emery: “And the po-po took HIS side! HIS SIDE! If they’d been there, like, a minute earlier they would’ve seen what he tried to do!”

    This entire rant was delivered with her back to me. I sighed.

Blade: “Em, all they saw was a guy with a bruised jaw and bloody nose, and a girl wearing black with piercings. You kinda stick out like a sore thumb, and unfortunately, people do judge based on appearance. I just hope that guy doesn’t remember feeling the metal in your hand . .  .”

    It’d be one thing if he remembered her face, but if she punched hard enough that her metal skeleton became obvious . . . well that’d be a bit of a problem.

Emery: “Pfft, all he knows is I have a good right hook!”

    She scoffed at my concern.

Emery: “And they’ll probably think it’s my rings!”

    She held out her hand, showing off several silvery rings coating her fingers.

Blade: “I sure hope so; that, and if he insists on any excess metal, they should just lock him up in a looney bin.” Not that he doesn’t belong there, anyway.