Reluctant Goodbyes

Angel: "Admit it! That is the best magic trick you have ever seen!"

    She sat up excitedly, grin broad.

    Emery's jaw dropped.

Emery: "Oh. My. Fragging. Primus. It . . . okay fine! Best magic trick I've ever seen!"

She threw up her hands, conceding defeat.

Angel: "I'll admit it wasn't easy, but I'm always keeping an eye on you guys. Only thing is the whole effort drained me so I slept a couple days, and when I woke up, you were facing down my crazy sister. Talk about a wake-up call!"

She laughed. I think it was the first time I’d heard her laugh, actually . . . it was nice to hear her happy.

Angel: "Anyway, everything's in tact, it just has to be moved back to where it was, which will again, make me hibernate a couple days. I mean really, I have to move the gate around the thing, and that just SUCKS. It's worth it but it sucks."

Emery: "Hey . . . before you do, you mind if I uh . . . go and check on something?"

Emery asked. I could only imagine what she wanted to ‘check’, but I had a feeling it was linked to the last time we were here.

Angel: "Be my guest, Darling."

    Emery nodded, getting out and walking into the UP. She wandered out of sight, and that made me nervous. Sure, she could blast anyone out here to high heaven, but still.

    I only waited a few moments before going to where she disappeared, leaving Angel to wait. I was certain at this point that it had something to do with Emery’s only other visit here. So . . . what was it?

Blade: “Em?”

    I called faintly, seeing her talking to someone, who looked fairly familiar . . . and a lot like Em . . . oh AllSpark, had Emery actually found her in this place?

Emery: "There's someone I want you to meet . . ."

Was all I heard before she turned to watch me make my way over to them.

Blade: "Hey, Em . . . who's your friend?"

I asked as if I didn’t already know . .  they were too similar.

Emery: "JB . . . this is my mom. Crystal. And mom . . . this is my guardian, and best friend. JewelBlade."

She made the formal introductions. Bingo. The next part did take me off guard a little bit, though.

    "Pleasure to meet you," we managed to say at the exact same time, leaving us both with stunned expressions that turned into humored smiles.

    Emery grinned.

Emery: "Mom . . .”

Emery hugged her.

Emery: "Thanks. For everything."

    She whispered softly. I felt like I was intruding, but I couldn’t help my uber-sensitive audio receptors!

Crystal: "I'm always here if you need me, Baby."

She replied, hugging her daughter back.

~First-Person Narration: Crystal~

    Emery, even if she didn't want to, had to let go. She stepped away and smiled. And in my eyes, a short, bright-eyes little Emery in pigtails and a jean jumper was smiling back at me. No matter what, she would always be that girl. I felt myself fade out, becoming one of those little, indiscernible lights that wandered this realm, having spent the energy I had to see her. I only hoped she would make it back when I had more.