Back

When a helm poked curiously into my room, it wasn’t the one I’d expected. I looked up hopefully, but it wasn’t Optimus.

Ratchet: “JewelBlade, the Autobots are running behind on their mission, could you go pick up the humans?”

Blade: “Oh, um, yeah Ratchet, of course. I’d love to.”

            Not what I’d been expecting, but nonetheless something to do at the very least. Honestly, I’d kind of forgotten that I hadn’t seen Miko at all since my return. I’d missed the girl fiercely.

Ratchet: “Thank you. They’re already waiting.”

Blade: “Consider me gone.”

            I stood up and walked out of my room, not far behind Ratchet, but when we reached a certain point, he went back to the infirmary and I hit the exit, transforming to my ground vehicle mode as I drove out of the base and down the road. It didn’t take too long, but longer than it used to from the old base, before I was in town and at the school.

            I pulled into the near-empty parking lot, saw the trio and honked loudly.

Miko: “HEY! WOULD YOU KEEP IT DOWN?!”

            The girl yelled loudly, not even glancing up.

Jack: “Uh, Miko . . .”

Miko: “What?”

            She asked irritably. I honked again, and she finally looked over. Her eyes widened and I saw a smile hit her face like a fast-pitch baseball.

Miko: “JEWEL!!!!”

            She screamed excitedly. She grabbed her stuff and ran over, jumping into the driver’s seat comfortably.

Miko: “Oh my gosh, where have you been?!”

            I smiled, amused at her concern.

Blade: “In outer space, kiddo, remember?”

Miko: “Well duh-,”

            She said as Jack climbed into the driver’s seat and Raf into the back seat.

Miko: “But I heard you made it back days ago. Where have you been hiding?”

            She leaned in and whispered,

Miko: “Because I’d like to use it for when I’m in trouble.”

            I felt like smiling; same old Miko, that’s for sure.

Blade: “I had some things that came up, Miko, including a girl named Emery who plays guitar and loves your kind of music.”

Miko: “What?! Awesome! Dude, this is why you’re my girl.”

Blade: “Your girl?”

            I asked questioningly.

Miko: “Yup. Bulk’s my guy, and you’re my girl.”

            I made my way out of the parking lot.

Blade: “Well, no offense, but you will have to share.”

Miko: “What? Why?”

Blade: “I’m Em’s guardian now.”

Miko: “Awww. Does she at least like dune-bashing?”

            I thought about it, but wasn’t sure. She did strike me as the type to like destroying things, anything, really.

Blade: “I don’t know, but you can find out when she comes back from training.”