Chapter 67: The Passing

Warning, this chapter is full of major, major, MAJOR feels. You have been warned. 

Izayoi's POV

So yet again, Arrosa decided to leave, despite my insistment that she stay with the group. She told me, and I quote, "For now, I shall follow Naraku's trail on my own. But be assured Izayoi, our paths will cross again. This is not the last you will see of me." 

I really wish she wouldn't be so cryptic when it came to things like that. I guess she gets it from her Mother...and maybe a little from her Father but I don't even want to get into that whole discussion.  It's just, too complicated and too sad. 

After Arrosa departed, Papa suggested that we all head back to Kaede's to tell her what was going on. We all agreed, figuring that Kaede should of been made aware of the situation. When we got to the village, we noticed that the villagers were in somewhat of a frenzy. Some men and women were rushing around grabbing different items, such as medical spices and herbs. "What's going on?" Mama asked. 

Everyone stopped when they saw us walk into the village. "Lady Kagome, you're finally back!" One woman said. "Quickly, we need you!" 

"What's going on? Is something wrong?" I asked. 

"Lady Kaede has fallen very ill," a man explained. "We don't know what to do." 

We all gasped in shock. Kaede was no spring chicken, we knew this for a fact, and the thought of her being very sick made us all weary. Just when things seemed to be so bright and uplifting for us, Kaede falls ill. Mama and I were the first ones to walk into Kaede's hut. We found her laying on the floor with a rag over her head and some herbs right next to her. She looked pale and sickly, which made me very nervous. She coughed a hoarsely cough and then looked over at Mama and me. "K-K-Kagome?" she stuttered. "Can it, really be ye?" 

"Yes Kaede, it's me," Mama said. She got down on her knees and sat beside Kaede. "What's wrong? Does anything hurt?" 

"Everything hurts child," Kaede painfully answered. "I fear that, I am dying." 

"Don't say that Kaede." I said. "We'll get you some medicine. We'll get you better." 

Kaede shook her head. I had never seen her in such a state. She looked so weak and frail, like at any moment she could cough and stop breathing all together. Mama gave her an herb for her cough and then she gestured for me to go outside with her to tell the others the news. 

"How is she Kagome?" Shippo asked. 

Mama lowered her head. "It doesn't look good you guys," she said, making all of our hearts sink. "This isn't just some aliment; it's just a matter of fact that she's dying from old age as well. I can't do anything else for her." 

No one spoke. Just thinking that Kaede was going to die made me want to ball my eyes out. I couldn't believe we had all given up hope so quickly. Then Ayuma spoke; 

"We can't give-up!" she shouted. "There must be something we can do!" 

"I'm afraid not Ayuma," Miroku stated. "It's a matter of life. Everything living must one day die. It is not fair, but that is how it is."

"We should at least make it easier for her," Kayuma suggested. "Can't we at least do that?" 

"Of course we can," Sango replied. 

So we tried to make Kaede as comfortable as possible. She didn't ask for much; just a better laying position and some food every now and then. We each took turns watching Kaede. Sometimes she would speak in mumbles and other times as normally as possible. When it came time for my turn to come, Papa stopped me before I could enter the hut. He and I were suppose to switch off. "Papa? What are you doing?" I questioned. 

"...Kaede just asked me something." he simply stated. 

"What's that?" I asked. 

"...She wants to see Arrosa." The whole time that this was going on, I completely forgot about Arrosa. If Kaede was asking to see her, did that mean that....? "Go find her. Tell her to come right away." Now I knew it was serious. If Papa was putting aside his resentment for Arrosa, then that meant that Kaede was close to death. 

I nodded, called for Kilala, and went searching for Arrosa. It took me a few hours but I was able to find her outside of a village, aiding to soldiers who were injured. "Izayoi?" she questioned when she saw me. "What are you doing here?" 

"Arrosa, you have to come with me. It's important," I said. 

"What is it?" she questioned. 

"...Kaede is dying," I hesitantly spoke. "She asked to see you." 

Arrosa's normally calm demeanor changed into that of shock and sadness.  She had gasped in shock and had place a hand to her mouth. I didn't know what was going through her mind at that moment. I mean, I had just told her the worst news imaginable; the last person who truly loved her in the world was dying. She held back her tears and agreed to come with me to the village. 

When we had arrived, Arrosa wasted no time and went to see Kaede. 

3rd Person's POV 

Arrosa ran into Kaede's hut and gasped at the sight she saw; her dear Aunt lying on the floor in pain. Her eyes were closed and her breathing was shallow. Why? Arrosa thought. Why must I lose another important person in my life?

Just as Arrosa was wondering, Kaede opened her eyes and looked over at Arrosa. The young priestess froze in fear, trying to find the right words to say, when Kaede said, "S-S-Sister Kikyo, you've come." 

"...Y-Yes I have." Arrosa replied, not wanting to correct Kaede. She sat down next to her and stroked the elder woman's cheek. "Kaede." 

"S-Sister, it has been, so long," Kaede gasped. Tears gathered in her eyes. "If you are here, then it must be my time soon." 

"Do not fret Kaede," Arrosa insisted as she took a hold of her Aunt's hand. "Soon you and I shall be reunited. Soon you shall no longer feel pain." 

"Yes, I know...But I, must tell you first...that your daughter, is an amazing child...I know that she will do great things, Kikyo...And I know, that she has made you very proud." 

Tears rolled down Arrosa's face as her Aunt speak. "I-I couldn't be prouder of her," She stuttered. 

"I know...Kikyo." Then her breathing came to a stop. 

Izayoi's POV 

Kaede's last wish was to have her body burned and her ashes laid down beside her sister's. We did as she requested. Arrosa prayed for her soul to rest in peace and to be reunited with her sister's. When most of the people had left, leaving just me and Arrosa, I walked up to her as she looked at the grave. "...I'm sorry for your loss Arrosa," I apologized. "I can't imagine what you are going through right now." 

I looked at Arrosa and saw her smiling through tears. "Kaede is reunited with my Mother. I know she is happy now." she said.

"Y-You're not sad?" I asked. 

"Of course I am. But it eases my heart to know that she is happy once more." She looked up to the sky as if to signify that Kaede's soul was in heaven with Kikyo. I looked up as well and imagined a young Kaede running to hug her sister. 

"Sister Kikyo!" the young woman shouted as she ran to hug her beloved older sister. 

I know this was major sad. So I know you're going to come at me with your torches and pitch forks. But please understand that this is part of the story build-up for Arrosa. I will do my best to make the next chapter much more light hearted.