Chapter 7: The Monk Named Ungai

As the group continues to search for Naraku, it's been apparent that it will not be easy.

Izayoi's POV

'This is it. I thought.

"You're move Izayoi." Mochigo challenged me, trying to be intimidating.

No way was he going to scare me.

I slowly reached for a card that was in his hand. It was either going to be a 2 or it was going to be a Joker. When I finally pulled the card out from Mochigo's hand, I smiled when I realized it was the 2. "I won!" I said with a victorious smile.

Mochigo sighed in defeat. "How do you do it?" he asked.

"I just do I guess."

The others laughed. We had decided to stop for a break for lunch and play a game to pass the time. It was an old game that Mama had told me she played with the group when they had down-time. 

"All right, let's get moving," Ayuma said. "We need to find a place to stay for the night."

Shippo laughed. "Hey Mochigo," he said. "Can you find any village with a 'demon' in it?"

"I will not resort to such trickery's Shippo," Mochigo told him with pride. "Father might think that it's a fine thing to do but I say it's dishonorable."

"Yeah well I kind of don't want to sleep on the ground tonight so can you just lie one time Mochigo?" I asked.

Mochigo gave me a glare and I decided to drop the subject. We all began to prepare our journey once more when I realized that the water bottles were empty. "I'll go get us more water guys." I told the others as I went to the stream not to far from where we were.

3rd Person's POV

As the others continued to pack, Mochigo sensed a strong spiritual aura heading towards the group. Then he heard the shuffling of feet on the ground as several people came out from another part of the forest. Everyone turned to see that it was a group of traveling monks.

"Greetings," the oldest looking monk said. There was a high spiritual aura coming from him. The old man looked at the group, noticing that 3 of them looked to be children. Then he saw a little two-tailed cat demon and a full-grown fox demon. "You are traveling with 2 demons? You children do know that demons are dangerous correct?"

"We are aware that some demons are dangerous," Ayuma said. "But Shippo and Kilala would not harm anyone."

The monk looked at her with a glare. "You're a demon slayer correct?" he asked. "You should know that demons are dangerous."

"Some demons may be dangerous but not Shippo and Kilala. They are our friends." Kayuma explained.

This made the monk laugh, but not that much of a laugh. "All demons are dangerous," he told them. "And you children should be with your families, not these demons."

"What's that suppose to mean?" Shippo asked with some anger.

The monk glared at Shippo, making him run and hide behind Ayuma. Even after all these years, he was still a bit cowardly.

"Sir, if I may ask," Mochigo said. "Who are you?"

"I am Master Ungai." the man answered, making Mochigo gasp.

"Hey what's going on?" a female voice asked.

Everyone looked to see that Iziyaoi had come back from getting water by the river.

Izayoi's POV

I had come back to the others only to find that several monks were there. "Uh, what's going on?" I asked, getting everyone's attention.

As I walked towards the others, the monks became on high alert. "Who are you?" the monk that I heard was called Ungai asked.

"I should be asking you the same question." I told him.

Ungai glared at me and I glared back. "Izayoi," Mochigo said, standing between me and Ungai. "This is Master Ungai. He's a traveling monk."

"And what? Is that suppose to scare me?" I asked.

"You travel with a half-demon?" Ungai asked with anger. "She is nothing but a threat to you."

"Look, Izayoi's our friend," Ayuma defended me, standing right by my side. "We've known her since she was a young baby."

"She only attacks evil demons and bandits." Kayuma said, standing my side as well.

"Izayoi would never harm innocent people." Mochigo added.

Ungai growled. "That is not true!" Ungai yelled. "Demons are nothing but vile creatures! This child must have been birthed against the Mother's will!"

I started to tense with anger. "What did you say about my Mother?!" I asked with rage definitely in my voice.

"A demon must have forced her into birthing you! A human would not dare to give birth to a child of a demon!"

"Don't talk about my Mama and Papa like that!" I told him with tears rushing down my face. "You don't know anything about them!" Who did this guy think he was talking about my Mama and Papa that way?! "Mama and Papa love each other! It doesn't matter whether someone is a demon or human, or a half-breed. What matters is that they love each other because of what's on the inside not the outside."

That was probably one of the best, and corniest, speeches I've ever made that brought tears to my eyes, and to the eyes of my friends.

The others stood at my side, not backing down at my anger and sadness. In fact, they looked angry as well. "I think it's time for you to leave." Ayuma said firmly.

Ungai didn't back down. His men actually surrounded us from all sides. "You have obviously been bewitched by these demons," Ungai spoke. "You will die you demons!"

The monks tried to grab a hold of Ayuma, Kayuma and Mochigo but they were trained in martial arts so they knocked the monks down without hurting them too much. The other monks focused on Shippo and me. (Kilala had gotten into the air after Ayuma told her to.)

They tried to hit us with sutras but I put up a barrier with my priestess powers, surprising the monks.

"Take this you demons!" Ungai shouted as he charged us. Shippo jumped out of the way but I charged right at Ungai, smashing him into the ground with my fist. Don't worry, I didn't kill him- even though you guys probably want him dead though right? But that would've just proven his point about demons being dangerous.

Ungai was about to attack again but I grabbed him by the arms. "Listen, you will leave me and my friends alone," I told him. "And if you ever say anything about my Mama and Papa again, your life is going to end being a living nightmare."

I let go of Ungai and then went to pick up my bags. The monks that weren't unconscious were on their guard as we all grabbed our things. We were about to walk away when Ungai said "Hold on." I turned to look at him and he stared at me with a confused. "Why did you not kill me? You had the chance to do so and yet you didn't. Why?"

I sighed. "Because, I'm trying to prove a point to you," I explained as we began to walk away. "Not all demons and half-demons are bad."

********************

After walking in silence for an hour, Ayuma came up to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. I looked at her and she smiled. "You did a great job at keeping calm back there." she complimented.

I smiled back. "Thanks, and thanks for standing at my side earlier."

"You're our friend Izayoi," Mochigo said as he came to my side. "We wouldn't abandon you."

"He's right," Kayuma added. "We're always going to be by your side no matter what."

So the group has met the great monk Ungai- and kicked his butt. Now the journey to find Naraku must go on. Can they possible figure out Naraku's plan before it's too late? And what about the mysterious woman from before? What does she have to do with Naraku? Find out the answers to probably none of these questions in the next Chapter. Comment and vote so I know how this story is going. Thanks you fellow readers!