Chapter 39: The Battle and the Shattered Necklace

Okay, first off, I'm so sorry for not updating in a long time! I've been busy with school and my leg getting better with physical therapy. Please forgive me! Now enjoy!

Izayoi's POV

I held Tensoga in my hands tightly until my knuckles turned red. The sun was setting, meaning the battle was edging closer and closer. I had to be ready to fight for not only my life, but the lives of the half-demons of the village.

"Izayoi." a voice said from behind. I turned to see that it was Arrosa.

"Hey Arrosa." I said before turning to look at the sun setting.

Arrosa walked over to where I stood and stood next to me. We didn't speak for a few minutes. I didn't expect much from Arrosa anyway. She wasn't much for words. She was more action than anything else. I can understand why though; what with the horrible childhood involving the death of her Mother and all and the fact that Naraku was her Father.

Then Arrosa broke the silence; "You do realize that your Mother and Father will more and likely be in this battle, right?"

I nodded solemnly. I knew that they were going to be in this battle. Why wouldn't they be? Naraku wants to make me suffer so why not make my parents fight against me? Even so, I didn't want to think about it much so I decided to change the subject; "Arrosa, why do you hide your demonic powers?" I asked. "I mean, it's just been bugging me."

Arrosa sighed and pulled her necklace out from its tucked place in her shirt. It was a blue pearl that was attacked to black thread. "If my demonic powers were ever released, I wouldn't be the same person. I would be just like Naraku; an evil beast bent on killing everyone and everything in my path."

"I had no idea," I said. "I just thought you hid it because you didn't want to have any ties to Naraku."

The priestess shook her head. "If that was all it was then I wouldn't be wearing this necklace."

"I see."

No more words needed to be said. I might not have known the whole story of Arrosa but I knew what I needed to know; I knew that despite her heritage, I could trust her.

********************************

"Are the children safe?" Natsuko asked Haruo.

"Yeah, their safe." Haruo answered.

"Good, then you should stay with them until it's safe to come out again."

Haruo nodded and went to the hut where the children were.

Ayuma, Kayuma, Natusko, Mochigo, Isamu, Isao, Arrosa, and I stood ready for battle. (Shippo was with Haruo, protecting the children.)

"Get ready," Natsuko said. "We must protect the children."

We all nodded in agreement as the wind picked up. I had to cover my face as it grew stronger. The wind finally died down after several moments of intense wind speed. I moved my hands away from my face to see that Naraku had finally arrived. He had his wicked smirk on his face. To his left stood Kagura and to his right stood Kanna. In the back of my head, I felt bad for those two. They were finally free from Naraku when they were killed, only to be thrown back into servitude of the horrible monster that had created them.

I looked to Kagura's left and and saw Mama and Papa standing there. I kept my hands at my side, knowing it wasn't really them. They were still in there, but they were under mind control. To Kanna's right stood Miroku and Sango. I could hear a low growl emanating from Ayuma. I knew she was just as mad as me, maybe even angrier. Mochigo and Kayuma had looks of anger on their faces as well. When I looked at Arrosa though, her face was calm. She had anger burning in her eyes but she showed none of it on her face,

"All right Naraku," I spoke. "I showed up like you wanted, now leave the villagers out of this."

Naraku snickered evilly. "Young Izayoi, foolish as ever I see," he said. "Did you really think that if you showed up that I would just let these half-demons run about?"

"Not really," I replied. "But that's why we're going to fight." I took Tensoga from its sheathe and allowed it to take its form as a giant fang. "Wind scar!" I shouted as the attacked went straight towards Naraku. However, it only hit his barrier.

With a quick movement of his hand, Naraku ordered Kagura, Kanna, Papa, Mama, Miroku and Sango to attack us. We charged right into the battle thinking of nothing more than defending the children.

My sword clashed with Papa's and we were in a heated sword fight. I gritted my teeth as I swung the sword. Each time I swords clashed they made a strange clanking sound. I could see from the corner of my eye Ayuma and Kayuma sword fighting with their Mother. She had them on the ropes but they were still able to bounce back. Natsuko was going up against Mama, who kept firing sacred arrows at her. Natsuko was quick though so she was able to dodge the arrows. Mochigo was staff-to-staff with Miroku but the young monk was doing really well. Isamu, Isao and Arrosa were dealing with Kagura. Isamu and Isao were charging in while Arrosa used her spiritual powers to slow Kagura down.

As I was looking at the others, Papa used his sword to knock Tensoga out of my hands. It flew until it got stuck in a tree. I tried to pull it out of the tree but it was in it too tight. As I tried to pull the sword out, Naraku crept up behind me. He was just about to attack me when Arrosa pushed me out of the way. I landed on the ground and watched as one of Naraku's tentacles wrapped around her neck. She gasped in pain as the tentacle made its way towards Arrosa's necklace. "Arrosa!" I shouted as I got up to help. However, Papa grabbed me by my arms and held me back. "Let me go!" I growled. The tentacle slithered its way down Arrosa's neck and grabbed the pendant, crushing it like it was nothing.

Once the necklace was crushed, Naraku released Arrosa, who fell to the ground, and then he and the others disappeared. "Arrosa!" As soon as I realized I was able to move, I ran to Arrosa who was collapsed on the ground. "Arrosa, are okay?"

I slowly helped her up and when I saw her face, she had fear written all over it. "M-m-my necklace," she stuttered. "It's, broken."

What will happen now that Arrosa's next necklace is broken? Find out next time. Please comment and vote.