Chapter 79: The Pretend Mate

3rd Person's POV 

"But Dad-" Tsuyo protested. 

"No buts son," Koga growled. "There's a large gathering of the other wolf demons of a few lower-level tribes and I can't have you missing it. You're going to be leading the pack one day and I need you to be at this gathering so that the others know that." 

Tsuyo sighed. "He really didn't want to go to this gathering, since he had gone the previous year and remembered the utter boredom he experienced on the mountain after listening to some elder wolf demon he couldn't remember the name of make some speech that he couldn't remember the words of. Then there were those other wolf demons about his age that would tease him about not having picked a mate. "Come on Dad, it's so boring," Tsuyo complained. 

"No, you're going, end of discussion." Koga finalized before walking off. 

Just as he went to walk away, Tsuyo got an idea; "Wait Dad. there's a bit of a problem; a lot of the other wolf demons my age that will be there will be there with their future mates."

"And?" Koga questioned. "Your point is?" 

"Well, I think that the way to make out pack look stronger is if I pretend to have a mate of my own, showing off strength and unity for the tribe." 

Koga thought over Tsuyo's proposal, finding the notion agreeable. Image was very important for the wolf demon tribes and if Tsuyo had a mate then that would be even better. "All right son, you've got my attention," Koga smirked. "So, who's the lucky wolf demon you've got in mind for the job?" 

The wolf demon teen nervously laughed. "Well, you know her already Dad, but she's not exactly a wolf demon." 

Izayoi's POV 

On the road to another village, I was chatting with Ayuma and Kayuma about how Arrosa had taken down the demon bear from before with one arrow shot. They were also explaining to me why Miroku was all covered in bruises and slap-marks, which were all courtesy of Sango after she found out what Miroku was trying to teach Mochigo. 

As we came to a fork in the road, I noticed two twin tornados heading our way. I noticed it before anyone else and when Papa saw it he growled in annoyance, knowing what the tornados signified. Soon, Koga and Tsuyo came to a stop right in front of us.

"Hey," Tsuyo greeted, mostly turned towards me.

I smiled and waved at Tsuyo.

That's when Koga went up to Mama and took a hold of her hands. "Hey Kagome," He greeted with a smirk.

"Hello Koga," Mama greeted back.

"I hope the mutt has been taking care of you," Koga said, making Papa growl in anger.

"I'm fine," Mama reported.

Then Papa got in between her and Koga. "What the heck are you doing here you mangy wolf?" he growled as he glared at Koga.

"Cool it mutt-face," Koga replied, making Papa even more upset. "I'm here because my son."

We all were confused and looked at Tsuyo for an answer. "You see, I need Izayoi to come with me for a few days," Tsuyo explained.

"For what?" I questioned.

"There's a gathering of wolf demon tribe leaders and their heirs in the mountains in a few days," Tsuyo explained. "There's a tradition among the wolf demons that the heirs to leading the tribes should find a mate as soon as possible. I'm the only who doesn't have one, which shows a sign of weakness for our pack, so-"

"No way!" Papa interrupted. "There's no way I'm letting you claim my daughter as your mate!"

A huge blush appeared on my face. My face grew warm and I tried to calm myself down. The thought of becoming Tsuyo's mate made me feel all weird. I mean, I liked him yes, but I didn't think I was ready to become his mate. Seriously! I'm still technically a child.

"Calm down mutt," Koga stated. "It's not the end of the world."

"Don't you start with me Koga!" Papa yelled. "The day I let your son take my daughter is the day I kill over!"

"Then I guess it's today," Koga smirked.

Papa growled and was about to charge Koga when Mama placed a hand on his shoulder. "Easy Inuyasha," She said before looking at Koga. "Listen Koga, I have some concerns too. Izzy's a bit young for this, in my opinion. And I'm sure Izzy feels the same way. Can't Tsuyo wait a few more years?"

"Sorry Kagome, but Tsuyo needs to take a mate with him," Koga emphasized. "Like we said earlier, he's the only heir who doesn't have one and that's a sign of weakness, which isn't good for our tribe."

That's when an idea struck me; "Well, what if I just pretend to be Tsuyo's mate?" I suggested.

"Pretend?" The others questioned.

"Yeah. I mean, Tsuyo and I are pretty close as is, so I could just pretend to be his mate. No one would no the difference, right?"

"But wouldn't they be able to tell by smell?" Shippo questioned. "Father told me once that when a wolf demon chooses a mate that they have a different scent on them."

"Not necessarily," Sango said. "I mean, Koga wanted Kagome to be his mate but her scent didn't really change."

"Mostly because Kagome didn't end up with that wolf," Papa mumbled under his breath.

"It's like a vow to wed someone," Miroku inferred.

"Exactly!...Although some have already mated," Tsuyo said.

"I still say no!" Papa exclaimed. "Besides, we need to make sure Izayoi is being watched, just in case Naraku tries to go after her."

"Why would Naraku come after you?" Tsuyo asked.

"It's a long and complicated story," I replied. "But Papa, I don't think Naraku will try anything. Like Arrosa said before, Naraku probably won't try anything until the last minute, when he thinks he's got the upper hand."

Papa still didn't like the idea one not. He wasn't going to agree to it but Mama was fine with it, as long as I made sure to be vigilant. Of course Papa wasn't too happy about but Mama got the last say on the matter.

I got on Tsuyo's back and held on as we made our way back to the wolf demon tribes caves to prepare for the gathering. I could hear Papa cussing Koga off as we were leaving. Then we could hear a big thud.

What will happen at the wolf demon gathering? Can Izayoi pass off as Tsuyo's mate?