Chapter 40- Ramming A Stake Up My Ass

I put his hand down.

"I-I'm sorry Spencer. I can't. I-It's . . . I'm so sorry!" I cried, not caring if he saw.

"Emera, we don't have time-"

"Listen. This is my family now, and I want to stay with them until the end. We will finish our duty and get the rest of the highlights, and we will be able to fight against that Pristine bitch. I don't know what she wants, but she hates me that's for sure. These guys already think I abandoned them, I don't want to actually do it," I sighed.

"But Emera, you and I-"

"Spencer, what I'm doing . . . it's not fair to you or Jason. I care for you, I really do. You were the one who pulled me up when I felt like shit. You were there for me and allowed me to see my friends. Even if it's just through a screen. I really did like you, but I think I was just using you for rebound. I was upset with Jason, and no one was there. And you couldn't have really loved me, be realistic Spence. You knew me through a screen, and that's not the same. Then you knew me for a few weeks. That's not love Spence, that's being starstruck. I know because that's how I was with Jason, but after a few months and actually being with him for a long time, it became something real. And I'm not being fair to you or him. You, having to see me with someone else. Him, not knowing there is competition. And if I really love one of you, I will pick only one of you no matter what choice he makes," I sighed, wiping off a tear or two.

"And I'll suck it up, whatever happens. I can't play with your emotions Spencer, and it's been killing me knowing that every moment I'm with him, you're over there with the other half of my heart. I need to put all my love in one thing if I have to choose. And believe me, I'd pick you had things turned out differently. But I'm here, with Jason. And he might love someone else as well, but I need to accept whatever decision he makes. I was put here to find my future partner, and I can't be the one ruining this entire experiment, simulator whatever like Pristine just because I fell in love with someone outside.

"I'm sorry- from the depths of my heart. You really couldn't have loved me. It's like playing a video game for 10 years and falling in love with a character. Then meeting a cosplayer at Comicon and falling in love with the person in a costume. The person in the costume isn't the character in the video game. She isn't the same as what you made her out to be, she's just someone who is similar or looks like the person. Because the person on the screen isn't real, and the person in front of you is." I laugh, but a bittersweet one at the most.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is, I can't do this anymore. I have to stay here with my friends, with Jason. You have to let me go," I say.

Spencer stares at me and sighs. "Can't say I didn't see this coming. I understand Emera, and I won't hold it against you, believe me. I'll do my best to help you guys earn your highlights, and protect you from Pristine. I promise."

I hugged him tightly. "Thank you."

The floor started cracking at his feet, rays of white light bursting through the cracks.

"Looks like they found me," Spencer mutters. "Stay safe."

With that the cracks give out under his feet as he falls into the bright white hole, it sealing him up the moment his head dived under. I let out a frustrated groan, but I knew I made the right decision.

"That's him huh," someone said.

I didn't even have to turn around to know it was Carlyn.

"I'm so sorry Emera. But now we are all in danger," Carlyn said, placing a hand on my shoulder. I merely stared at the ground where Spencer was sucked into.

"It's the same way you disappeared," she said again. I nodded.

"You did the right thing. Both of you. I'm proud of you guys," Carlyn said.

I laughed, "You'll like him more at the lab, though I imagine he is being scolded by his older sister Britney at the moment."

"Emera . . . I think you need to tell Jason."

"About what exactly?" I asked her.

"Tell him about Spencer. Then tell everyone else about the lab," she said. I nodded.

"I guess it's only the right thing to do. He needs to know, and I'll suck up the consequences. I've been keeping this secret for too long," I said.

"If what he said was true, they are probably fixing the glitches. That means everyone will have the full capacity of their powers."

"That means I can light myself on fire, like they did to the witches," I giggled. We both laughed.

"Imagine that, them ramming a stake up my ass and lighting me on fire!" I said.

"Well you already have the powers," Carlyn smiled.

We both grinned at each other, taking the whole situation in.

"I'll tell him tomorrow," I said. It was quiet, and everyone else was asleep.

After a pregnant pause, Carlyn answered. "I know you will."

It was quiet again as I thought.

Did I really make the right decision? To choose Jason over Spencer? What's Spencer going to do now?

Spencer, well. There are more girls or guys out there in the world for you. You just need to look around.

What if I had gone with him? Could I have protected my friends here? In the simulator?

Would he and I run away together, and I could have a chance of having a normal life once again?

No Emera, you can never be normal once again.

I didn't even realize Carlyn left.

Now I'm just alone with my thoughts.

That's the scariest thing to do.

Tomorrow, I'll tell everyone about the lab and the simulator we are in.

Tomorrow I'll tell Jason about Spencer.

Tomorrow . . . I'll tell Jason I love him.