Chapter 60- Bro-Advice

3rd POV

"Wh-h-what?" Zoey stuttered. She was afraid Emera would transform back to her other self, and she was NOT going to let one of her best friends kill herself. She bit on her lower yet trembling lip as she forced a smile, trying to seem just confused. But she was definitely the scardey-cat of the group.

Carlyn memorized everything with her photographic memory, furiously scribbling it done on the nearest thing she could find. She wrote down the words with a pen and notepad and stared hard at it. Latin. It could be a clue, to help Emera. She could read some of it... but she wasn't positive on it.

Love and Lust . . . fight again . . .beginning . . . memory . . .

Dammit, if only she knew more Latin. What would it mean, for Lust and Love to battle again? There wasn't any lust or love she could see that involved Emera. Except when she read Jason's mind. Sometimes she would accidentally read his thoughts. He tried so hard, but in reality, he wanted her. He wanted her to love him and be his, but he was afraid because of all of the mistakes he had made before. He was afraid he still wasn't good enough for her. In fact, Carlyn thought, if he hadn't gone int the Simulator, he might be . . . well to put it simply a fuck boy.

But Emera was head over heels for him. Every thought of hers was about the well-being of the group, the past, and then 90% Jason. She thought about how dreamy his eyes were when they were blue, and how they are even dreamier now. But she seemed so in love with him, she thought she didn't deserve him. Or that one day, despite being her mate, he would find interest in someone else. Carlyn knew that even mate's fate could go wrong, but she could sense the bond between the two.

What if they are Love and Lust? Carlyn thought. They were in a way like that. Emera found the beauty in almost everything and was half in love with everyone. But Jason had something a bit more . . . tweaked. He fell into lust plenty of times, but this was different with Emera. Very different as of now. She changed him in many ways.

But how could they battle if they are Love and Lust? Perhaps just let it happen, it would only be logical.

And memory? Would that mean Emera would get some sort of memory regained? But would it be as Anti-Emera? No, that wasn't Emera. The real Emera was somewhere else. Perhaps if she did get her memory back of something she could find out how to stop her transformation. Or she could find out what was happening. OR about her transformation. Or maybe even something about Pristine.

Emera, well she was just cum-fuzzeled. What did she just say? She didn't even know Latin! But why was everyone freaking the fuck out? Like Marcus and Tyler were just looking over at each other and Zoey looked as if she was ready to flinch. Carlyn was just staring at the notebook she wrote something down in.

"Uh, sorry it just popped into my head." That was sort of a lie, she knew. But it was in a way true.

"Yeah, let's just get you to Jason and the others. It's your birthday after all," Carlyn said. She picked up her stuff and exited the room. 

Marcus looked over to Emera. At the mention of Jason's name she seemed to stand a little straighter, her cheeks have a rosy hue and her eyes shone brightly, twinkling in the lights. Marcus never really understood emotions, but Carlyn could help him sometimes. He really liked her, more than a friend he knew. It was like an impulse. The first time he really felt emotion was when his little brother had glass in his arm, cutting and infecting him until they had to remove the arm because of the infection.

That was when he truly turned cold.

Of course, then he found  Carlyn's equation room he began to bond with her. She taught him to open his eyes to the world and taught him as much as she knew he could comprehend. She was patient and kind. And those late nights when the others were asleep, they would bring a flashlight and explore the mansion. She would find the stuff he would never have thought to look for. She could stare at something and immediately realize some sort of memory, story, tale had followed that object. Some nights she would stare for hours at some object, a locket or music box, and just stare and ponder and wonder about it for hours and hours. With just Marcus by her side. He would look straight at her, and wonder how someone could be so fascinated with something. Of course, he was fascinated with her. Was and is. But he never let her know that. He was the only one who could keep some thoughts to himself. Just because Carlyn can't use something against her mate.

Seeing Emera's eyes light up with the same curiosity and fascination and admiration as Carlyn's when it came to those small objects just made him wonder more. He never really knew Emera's and Jason's story. He just knew that they fought more than the other couples. They had a past before the simulator. And he used to be infatuated with Stacie as well.

He didn't know what Emera truly saw in Jason. But it was easy to see what Jason saw in Emera. Emera was the first one he really talked to in the simulator. Though that was about him developing his highlights. She was very opening to people. Had a thing that drew people to her. But of course, she wasn't nearly as captivating as Carlyn.

Emera exited the room, as Tyler and Marcus followed her.

"I guess we're going to celebrate my birthday today. Glad to miss class today." She laughed, her laugh tinkled through the halls as she followed Carlyn to Jason's dorm.

Tyler noticed too, how she was when it came to Jason. She changed a lot, he remembered.

He remembered she couldn't keep her eyes off of Jason. Her face would be beet red and Jason knew exactly what to do to make it more so. She was shy with her glasses pushed up as a headband and stuttered only around him. But man, she was pissed when it came to Stacie. She became feisty and proved that among friends she could become the center of the circle. She wasn't very much noticed at first by Jason. Jason seemed to only pay attention to her since she was the only one he knew, and Tyler didn't need mind reading skills to see that.

But Emera started gaining a bit more of her personality and turned the tables. Almost every night Jason would go see Tyler for some Bro-Advice. Before, Jason had her under his thumb, but eventually, he became more knotted and twisted around Emera's finger. He would talk every night and ask what to do with Emera. She was unpredictable compared to the rest. Tyler was glad his love story wasn't nearly as complicated as theirs. Jason would come every night and call himself an idiot for anything he did or said around her. Either and idiot for doing something or a coward for not. It was always up to Tyler to tell Jason things would work out. Jason kept trying to get with Stacie, a girl who he could understand better. He needed to clear his mind and try other things, and not just waste his time on one thing he would tell Tyler. If anything it only made his thoughts more jumbled.

He was head over heels but refused to believe it. He admitted he liked her but lied when he said he also liked Stacie. He was so scared of Emera then because he knew that he broke her heart, and she could just as easily break his. Every single night he would come in a desperate attempt to convince both Tyler and himself that he wasn't in love. But Tyler could see right past him. He was a mess.

Then he broke. He snapped, his mind became both a blank slate and a messy canvas. Tyler didn't need Carlyn's mind reading skills to see that. The day Emera was once again broken because of what an idiot Jason was being, she disappeared. Right in front of them.

 Jason blamed himself, and for weeks on weeks, he broke himself over and over again. Stacie was the only one who could get him to stay calm for more than five minutes, and he called her a friend. They bonded closely, but more so friends. He cried and wailed every night to Tyler, who patted his back and would sometimes cry with him. Emera was a friend of Tyler's too.

Jason would throw himself against every wall as he passed through the hallways. His cheeks were never dry and he hardly slept. He would sometimes spend the night crying at Stacie's room or in Tyler's. Every night he would scream in his sleep about Emera and everywhere in the mansion you could hear  it. He'd scream he loved her, and that he hated her for leaving. Sometimes he would just whisper in his sleep two words . . . she's dead. This scared the others so much. Carlyn did everything she could and even let out she was kid-genius in order to find Emera. Jason was breaking every day, and he was still partially broken today. But Emera rearranged the pieces she unknowingly shattered.

The others were mad at her when she came back. But of course, you could see why. Had she been gone one more day Jason would have either gone insane or try to kill himself? He was so depressed and Chase kept trying to get him to eat. 'I never had food until I got here, appreciate what you have and eat as I tell you so,' Chase would encourage. Jason only lightened up on Stacie's birthday, which she planned a bit more special in a desperate attempt to cheer him up. Little did Tyler know Emera might've been right behind him the entire time.

And both Jason and Emera are twisted around the other's finger, and if they were to even clap their hands together, at least one would become crushed. Tyler just knew they loved each other so much, it would inevitability hurt.