5. High School Part 3

"Jace, here's some water. Why don't you take a drink?" Alec held out the glass to his friend who was sweating pretty badly but Alec knew that he was going to be okay. Sure, he'd have a headache in the morning but he kind of deserved it.

"Thanks." Jace said in a gravelly voice.

"Anytime, brother." Alec patted his shoulder.

"Was Magnus here?" Jace asked scratching his head.

Alec laughed. "You're still drunk aren't you?"

Jace smiled and ran his fingers through his hair. "Yeah, probably."

"Well, I have to run an errand but I'll be back later. Call if you need anything, okay?" Alec said as he thought to himself: you better not need anything.

"Hey, Alec?" Jace called out before Alec could close the door.

"Yes?" Alec smiled forcing himself to not yell at Jace to shut up and let him leave.

"Thank you for being such a great friend. I know I can always count on you."

"I know you'd do the same for me," Alec said knowing that he could, well until he found out that Alec had been lying to him for so long.

"See you in the morning," Jace mumbled and laid back on the bed with his eyes closed.

"Sleep well." Alec quietly closed the door and hurried outside before Jace could call him again.

Alec got in his car and drove to where he knew Magnus was waiting. But all he could think about while driving was how Jace would react when he found out the truth. What about Iz? She would be so hurt. How had he not thought it through? You didn't think it would last this long. He thought and sighed.

That was true. Who would have guessed that Alec and Magnus would only be in love with each other? Neither of them had kissed another person this entire time and Alec at least didn't plan to kiss anyone else ever. That thought terrified him. He knew he was in love with Magnus, but that was different than wanting to be with only him for the rest of his life. What he was feeling was reckless. It was what he imagined people felt before they did something crazy and yet he felt a certain peace wash over him. It felt right even if it scared him.

"Alexander." Magnus smiled as he pulled up to the gravel where he always parked.

"Sorry about making you wait." Alec got out and grabbed Magnus to give him a deep kiss. He had to do something to calm his nerves and kissing Magnus always did that for him. He had never understood how people felt homesick until he went on a cruise with his family for almost two weeks without cell service. He had almost faked a sickness just so he could go home and back to Magnus.

They pulled apart moments later breathing hard. "That makes up for the wait." Magnus smiled wider and took Alec's hand in his own, linking their fingers. "Why don't we go inside and finish what we started earlier?"

"I'd love that." Alec let Magnus lead him into their hidden fort in the middle of the property that Magnus's family owned. Nobody ever went up there so when they had first made their plan this was where they met, well after they moved to high school and could no longer sneak into the janitor's closet like in middle school.

"Do you remember the first time you kissed me?" Alec asked as he closed the door.

"Of course I do." Magnus played with Alec's fingers. "You fell on me and I was terrified that I was going to lose you."

"I thought that I was dreaming," Alec admitted playing with the ring around his neck absently. "I know we were young but even back when you gave me this ring I knew that I'd never be able to live without you. It was like I had found the missing piece, you know?"

"I do and I love the sentiment, but what's gotten into you? You're never this nostalgic." Magnus looked worried. Was Alec trying to break up with him?

"Sorry," Alec shook his head. "It's just been a long night."

"I understand. If you're tired we can do this tomorrow, instead." Magnus offered and ran his hand down Alec's face to cup his chin. "We don't need to celebrate on the exact day."

"I have a game tomorrow and my parents will be back." Alec frowned. "Do you ever regret this?"

Magnus's heart stalled as he went cold. "Regret this?" He motioned between them.

"Yes." Alec gave him a serious look.

"Do you?" Magnus asked instead of responding. He felt nauseous as he waited to hear Alec's answer.

"Honestly?" Alec asked and Magnus was surprised that he was able to make himself nod. "Yes."

"Oh," Magnus pulled his hand back and stepped away from Alec. His heart started to race as he fought to hold back the tears.

"I just, I don't think I can do this anymore. I hate it." Alec continued as Magnus felt a tear slip free.

"You hate it? Are you saying that it's over?" Magnus whispered.

"I think it needs to be. I can't keep doing this. I just don't feel the same anymore." Alec rubbed his hand over his face as he felt the tears well up in his eyes. It didn't help that he saw the stray tear sliding down to Magnus's chin. Alec reached forward to wipe it away but Magnus slapped his hand away from him.

"Get out!" Magnus demanded.

"What? But, why?" Alec looked up at him with tear filled eyes.

"Why? You just told me that you don't love me anymore and want to end this. Why would I want you to stay?" Magnus asked angrily.

"What are you talking about?" It was Alec's turn to be confused.

"Alec, why are you doing this, now of all times? Why not earlier?" Magnus demanded.

"Because I love you and I don't want to keep hiding it as if it's some dirty secret. Our love is beautiful and deserves to be shared, not kept hidden in some shed out in the middle of nowhere. I'm sick and tired of lying and acting like I hate you when all I want is to have you in my arms; to hold your hand; to kiss you in the sunlight. Magnus, I don't want to spend another moment pretending that this," Alec motioned between them, "isn't all that I've ever wanted and needed."

Magnus covered his mouth as he released a sob. How could he have thought any different? "Alexander, I-" He choked on the emotions flooding his system. "I- I."

A/N Sorry, it was getting really long so I ended up splitting this chapter in half. Do you want it today or wait until tomorrow? I'm leaning towards tomorrow. Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who was reminded that they have allergies after reading this one. Love you all!