Chapter 4

Freed teleported right in front of the coffee house where he was supposed to have his blind date and he let out a small sigh. Little bell jingled when the door opened and he stepped inside. So, how was he supposed to find his date if he didn't even know what he looked like?

"Mr. Justine", a soft voice said suddenly almost startling Freed.

He turned to look at the man who spoke. Long blond hair, big red brimmed hat with feathers and most noticeable, red mask covering half of the man's face.

"Rufus Lore", Freed said with a polite nod. He remembered the man from the Grand Magic Games. He couldn't say he had liked his performance there, but he had to admit that man was strong.

Rufus stood up and went around the table, standing right in front of Freed.

"It is my pleasure to finally meet you and talk with you face to face", he said with a smile, offering his hand.

"The pleasure is all mine", Freed assured taking the hand. "So you are my date?"

"Yes, isn't that pleasant? I have been waiting for a chance to properly introduce myself to you in person", Rufus chuckled. "Please, do sit down", he said offering a chair.

Freed raised an eyebrow, but he said nothing and just sat down. Rufus took the chair from the other side of the table where he had been waiting until now. Freed decided he did not like how Rufus treated him, there was absolutely no need to offer him a chair.

"So, do you mind telling me what you would like to do on this date?" the blond mage proposed. "Theatre? Sightseeing? Delicious dinner in the evening...?" Rufus said with a little smirk on his face. Freed sighed and rolled his eyes.

"I'm really sorry to disappoint you, Mr. Lore -", he started.

"Please, call me Rufus."

"Rufus... As I was saying, I don't think this dating could work out", Freed apologised. "I came here today simply to not have you stood up, that would have been rude. And I agreed to this blind date only to cheer up Evergreen and Bickslow, since they were so worried about me."

"I guessed that much", Rufus smiled which surprised Freed.

"You did?"

"Yes. I have seen you before couple of times, Freed. And every time you were with that Lightning Dragon Slayer", Rufus explained and poured some tea for Freed from the teapot he already had ordered with cups. "One with the big scar on his face, always looking grumpy and annoyed about everything, not at all sophisticated -"

"Please do not talk about him like that", Freed grunted now irritated. Rufus didn't even know Laxus and talked like he could possibly read him like an open book. Laxus was not that simple of a person. Certainly someone like this obviously egocentric memory mage would never understand that.

"I'm sorry if I acted improperly", Rufus apologised quickly, but his smile never faded from his lips. That arrogant, self centric smile that made Freed want to leave as soon as possible. "I really am sorry, Freed", Rufus assured. "I do not want to be your enemy and I can see that Laxus Dreyar is someone you hold in great esteem. And I have to admit, he is someone I do not want to encounter in a battle."

"You would never survive it", Freed stated without hesitation.

"I would lie if I said otherwise", Rufus agreed. "He is strong."

"And not stupid, keep that in your mind."

"Memorized", Rufus vowed with smile.

"Good", Freed said and was finally starting to relax a little bit. He took his teacup since Rufus already had poured him some tea and it would be impolite to waste it.

"Could you tell me something about yourself?" Rufus asked with curiosity.

"Myself?"

"Anything you want, I'm not going to force you to tell me anything but I would be interested to hear something", Rufus smiled.

Freed sighed. He should have known that Rufus wouldn't give up so easily. He was that kind of a man.

"I don't know what I could possibly tell", the green haired mage said. "There is not much to tell."

"Of course there is", Rufus said. "I can see that you have passion when you start something and you are a wise man. It takes a lot to actually be able to use rune magic the way you do, I believe."

Freed knew this was something Rufus would say to probably anyone who he was dating, but... He was slightly flattered. He just needed to remember that Rufus was a sweet talker and Freed shouldn't let himself get fooled by it.

"Thank you", he said. "Actually it does take a lot to use rune magic. Not that much of magic, but knowledge. You must know exactly what you want and even one tiny mistake can be fatal. It all depends on what you want. And rules are absolute", he said with small smile.

"And you follow rules no matter what", Rufus hummed. "That is what I have heard."

"That is correct", Freed stated.

"So it occurs with date rules too, of course?"

"Wait what?" Freed said surprised his gaze snapped back to Rufus from his teacup.

"Date rules", Rufus smirked and leaned his chin against his hand. "Never heard of them?"

"No..." Freed said slowly. How could he have? He never went on dates! This was totally new information and he wasn't sure he liked it even though he didn't know what the rules were. Did such rules even exist?