Chapter 34

The train rattled as it moved on the railway. Three days went by fast and now they were heading back to Magnolia. Of course, Freed promised to Dubois that they would visit again and the butler assured that they would always wait and welcome them whenever they decided to come.

The swordsman groaned silently and sneered. Why on earth did he let himself read so late? He knew they had to wake up before sunrise and head to the train station and yet still he had stayed at the library until three in the morning before crawling to the bed. Lack of sleep made his head hurt like someone was pounding it with a hammer.

"Still having a headache?" Ever chuckled sitting in front of the rune mage.

"Slightly", Freed grumbled irritated.

"And you're always the one who reminds us to sleep enough", Bickslow grinned.

"I know that", Freed said closing his eyes and his fingers gently ruffled blond hair, while Laxus was snoring his head on Freed's lap.

"We will arrive at Magnolia in an hour", Ever smiled. "You should head straight home, we go to the Guild and make a report."

"Thank you, Ever. But as the captain I should be there too", Freed said. "I caused this to myself so it is not a valid excuse to not complete my task."

"Guess we can't stop you when you decide to be a stubborn fool", brunette huffed. "So suit yourself."

One hour later they stepped out the train and Freed pinched the bridge of his nose.

"No more reading trough the night for you", Laxus said. "I'm honestly impressed how you still managed to get up before me."

"Even Laxus looks healthier than you and we just came out of the train", Bicks grinned and Freed muttered something. "You should really take some medicine and rest."

"I'm fine", Freed assured. "I'm starting to feel better. Just don't wake up your dolls or I will shut their mouths for the rest of the month."

"That's just cruel, baby."

They started their journey across the town. When they arrived at the Guild they already saw some of the decorations for the Autumn Festival. There were lots of carved pumpkins and pennons in different colors, as well as lanterns that were still in the middle of painting. They would look really good in the evening when they had candles inside them.

"Only 9 days anymore", Freed smiled. "Until the festival begins."

"So, have you finally come up what you will perform in the festival?" Ever asked.

"Not really", Freed confessed. "But I will come up with something, it's not too late."

"You don't have to perform anything if you don't want to", Laxus assured. "Old man will understand. You always do your best in every time we have this kind of things happening, it's not bad if one time you won't do something."

"But I want to", Freed smiled. "And I will. I don't want to be left out."

"So Laxus has an idea, huh?" Bicks asked.

"Well, somewhat..." the lightning mage muttered. "Not sure how I should use it."

"We can talk about it later and figure out what to do", Freed said. "Don't worry."

"Without Freed you would be lost", Ever chuckled to Laxus, who laughed.

"Guess I can't argue with that", he agreed.

They went straight to the Makarov's office and gave their report for the old Master. Even he noticed Freed's condition and said he should be at home resting.