Chapter 72

Laxus stepped on the huge garden, looking at the mansion. It was big, dark and old. He didn't like it. His eyes narrowed when he remembered how Freed said that he had always hated living here. He could see why, this place seemed like there had to be a rule for every fucking thing.

But where Freed was? He could smell him and he knew he was in the mansion but this damn place was too big!

Laxus growled angrily when he sensed anxiety on Freed's scent that was here and there all over the garden. Freed must have walked around here often, getting out of that massive building that looked like a haunted house, trying to think how to handle the situation the best way while keeping Felix safe. His mate was already stressed because of the pregnancy, it was HIS job to make sure they were safe so Freed didn't need to think about that!

Laxus didn't even care about how the ground under him was burning silently because of the lightning. He wouldn't care if he burned down this whole place or destroyed it with his lightning. But before he could do that, he had to find where Freed was.

He heard steps and snapped his head towards the noise, growling when he saw a man who couldn't be any other than Lucados Zaldevil.

"So you found your way here", Lucados said and gently brushed his hair back with his fingers, making the other scythe-like cowlicks shift slightly. "I guess I shouldn't be that surprised in the end. Freed seemed so sure you would come no matter what."

"Where's Freed?" Laxus snarled.

"He's somewhere safe. Somewhere where you can't go. I'm not entirely sure what all this mate thing is between you two, but I am happy that with it there will be now a new heir for the family. I guess I'm even grateful for that, Laxus. But Freed is still Zaldevil and so is his child."

"Like hell", Laxus growled. "He has made it plain clear that he doesn't want to have anything to do with this family. And same goes with our son."

"That is not something for him to decide. Or you. It is just a fact that cannot be changed."

"I don't give a fuck. I will take them home no matter what", Laxus said and the air crackled around him, his orange eyes locked on Lucados.

"I guess there is then no other choice", the older man sighed. "Stubbornness seems to be something you all youngsters have these days."

Freed frowned as he did his best to translate all the texts but he only managed to get half of it. And to be honest, that half wasn't the most helpful information he could get.

For the first thing was that the Old Contract was impossible to nullify. Not without deaths and Freed didn't like that idea.

'We have told it before, no mere mortal can break the Old Contract', he heard a familiar voice suddenly.

"Valdeghar?" he said, both surprised and happy.

'As long as the Artefact of the Zaldevil family is effective, no one can break the contract', another, much deeper and growling voice grunted.

"Umanor", Freed smiled. "It has been a long time."

Umanor definitely wasn't as talkative as Valdeghar and he didn't answer if he didn't decide so himself even if Freed tried to talk with him.

"Is there absolutely any way to destroy that Artefact?" he asked looking at the orb on the wall.

'It will destroy itself when the time is up after the last Lord has died and one hundred years has passed after that moment. Or there will be no more heirs with Zaldevil family's blood in their veins', Umanor explained.