Chapter 5

So... According to Rufus, there were some sort of date rules. But what were they? Freed had never heard of them before. Well he never dated before so how could he know something like that? And of course, were there really some actual rules or was Rufus just making them up? To prevent him from leaving? Why would Rufus even want to date him that badly?

"Freed?" Rufus said and Freed snapped back from his thoughts.

"Yes?" he asked.

"So you don't know the date rules?" Rufus smirked and Freed was not feeling comfortable. Like always when he didn't know something he should.

"No I do not", he had to confess, still feeling sceptical if he should trust Rufus.

"Then I better fill you up with that knowledge", Rufus hummed with a nod. "You have done good job this far. Showing up in time is the first rule."

"Obviously", Freed sneered. "Even I understand that."

"Second rule is to be polite to your date. You are never nothing less than polite", Rufus smiled. "That is one of your beautiful traits."

"You don't actually know me yet well enough so you could say that so confidently."

"I stay behind my words", Rufus chuckled.

"Well, you are such a sweet talker yourself", Freed laughed dryly.

"Why thank you", the blond mage smiled obviously not caring of the hint of sarcasm in Freed's voice. "Third rule is about sharing expenses. Usually the one who asks out the other is the one paying and people also often assume that men should pay everything. But since this is a blind date and we're both males, sharing is more practical."

"I agree", Freed nodded.

"But I would be honoured if I could take care of the payment", Rufus offered. "As a gift."

"I normally wouldn't even consider accepting something like that but if you insist", Freed allowed.

"Good. Fourth rule: Gifts", Rufus grinned insidiously.

"There is a rule for gifts?" Freed asked surprised. Wait... Did Rufus just...

"Sure there is", Rufus said. "Since we decided we would share on this date it's just fair that I can have a gift from you as well", he smiled.

"You set me up", Freed muttered now annoyed. "You took advantage of me not knowing the rules."

"I would never ask something vulgar, no need to be worried", Rufus assured.

"So what do you want then?"

"Another date. Nothing more."

"I'm not going to change my mind", the rune mage said determined and crossed his arms over his chest. "I told you, I already have someone I love deeply. Another date would not change that fact."

"Maybe not", Rufus said leaning back. "But who knows? Has Laxus ever shown any interest in you romantically?"

"No."

"Asked you out?"

"No."

"Shown any signs at all that you are more than just a dear friend to him?" Rufus tormented ruthlessly and Freed was starting to feel uneasy again.

"How is any of this your business if I may ask?" he snarled.

"I'm trying to help you, my dear Freed", Rufus assured twirling strands of blond hair around his fingers. "If you keep this up you will only hurt yourself."

"Then be it that way", Freed decided shutting his turquoise eyes. "I have devoted myself to Laxus years ago and I know he will never love me the way I love him but it doesn't matter. As long as Laxus is happy, I'm happy too."

"You will see that thinking like that... It just won't work", Rufus said and this time his voice sounded softer and his dark green eyes even looked worried when looking at Freed. "Yes, you can devote yourself to someone for the rest of your life but to think that you can just keep loving them while they don't love you? No, you're only hurting yourself. And how do you think Laxus would feel like if he ever finds out?"

"I'm not planning to let him know."

"The more we try to deny love, the more it will only hurt. Some day Laxus will see it himself how you're torturing yourself and he is the reason why you're doing that."

"You sound like you have some experience on this?" Freed said and he felt a bit curious.

"I won't lie, I too suffered for a long time when loving someone who I knew wouldn't love me back more than just as a friend", Rufus nodded. "Until I finally decided to let go of those feelings."

"I'm not too sure if just deciding to let go will help. But if you're feeling better, I guess it was the right decision for you. But I won't do that", Freed said with a frown. "I won't change my mind in this and you or anyone else won't make that happen."

He groaned pinching the bridge of his nose.

"But a rule is a rule", he muttered looking at Rufus. "And I don't break rules so say when you want to have our second date."

Rufus was just about to suggest something, when suddenly he looked out of the window. Freed followed his gaze and was surprised to see a familiar character running towards the coffee house. Freed stood up when Bickslow crashed in and the little bell almost got ripped off from its place above the door.

"Bicks, what is the matter?" Freed asked worried. "Didn't you go to the guild with Evergreen?"

"I did, I did", Bickslow panted and lifted his helmet wiping water off his face. "Man, I'm glad I got here in time!"

"What? Why?"

"No time to explain baby, just leave this place at once!" Bickslow cried out, making other customers stare at them.

"Leave! Leave!" his dolls chanted.

"Bicks, calm down", Freed said putting his hand on his friends shoulder. "Did something bad happen at the guild? Is everyone alright?" he asked as Rufus stood up too and came closer.

"Can I offer my help in any way?" he asked.

"Oh yes, you can", Bickslow snorted. "Leave this city as fast as you can."

"Bickslow! That's just rude", Freed scolded. He didn't really care if Rufus left or not, but just telling him to leave like that...

"If he values his life he should run and run fast", Bickslow stated.

"What?" Rufus asked confused. Bickslow was the one who asked him to go on a blind date with Freed, so why the sudden change of mind?

"It's a little bit complicated story but you really, really should leave. Like, right now", Bickslow recommended quickly. "Laxus might appear here any minute!"

"Laxus?" Freed asked puzzled and was even more confused and concerned. "What Laxus has to do with this? Is he okay?"

"You guys are really driving me crazy here! I already told you that you should -"

Bickslow slammed his mouth shut. They all could feel it. How the air tingled and sparked slightly. Freed could feel how his hair almost stood up because of the static electricity in the air and same happened to Rufus. The customers inside the coffee house started to get really nervous.

"Oh fuck", Bickslow yelped. "He's almost here."

"Boom!" the tiki dolls shrieked.