Chapter 16

Freed was sitting on the couch looking at lacrimavision, but couldn't really focus on the show. He was merely just staring ahead but did not see anything. It was already long past dinnertime and he had done some stew yet he couldn't even think about eating.

He was too worried about Laxus. He had no idea where the man had gone or if he might even come back.

The lacrimavision was turn off and Freed got on his feet. He was hoping that Laxus would come back home in two or three hours but it was starting to seem like that was not going to happen. What happened was such a shock for both of them Freed wasn't even surprised Laxus did not come back. He should've guessed this would happen.

The Rune Mage went to take his faithful old red coat and his sword. He had to do something. He couldn't just sit here comfortably while Laxus was somewhere out there probably hating himself because of what he almost did.

Freed had to make sure the Lightning Mage understood that he was not angry or scared of him. It definitely was a scary moment but he had encountered many scary situations before. Besides, he knew Laxus would've never done anything like that if his instincts weren't disrupting his mind.

Freed stepped out of the house and locked the door. Maybe he should start his searching from the guild. Who knows, Laxus might have said something to Makarov or maybe the old man knew some place where Laxus might go when he was freaking out. He could already guess Laxus most certainly wouldn't go to places Freed already knew since those were the places where Freed would search him first.

The Fairy Tail guild house was loud as usual when Freed opened the door and stepped inside. He greeted some of his guild mates on his way to their usual table on the second floor.

"Ever", he said when he saw the brunette.

"Freed", Evergreen said surprised. "What are you doing here? I was sure we wouldn't see you or Laxus for at least a week", she smirked mischievously.

"Not that it's any of your business but well, we are taking things slowly", Freed lied. He couldn't tell Evergreen what happened. She would only get furious and wouldn't listen to anything what he had to say for Laxus' defense.

"Really? That's surprising", Evergreen hummed and looked somewhat suspicious. "And why isn't Laxus with you? The way he was acting before I thought he would follow you everywhere and guard you like the most precious treasure", she giggled.

"Nothing is wrong, Ever", Freed assured and tried to smile convincing. He was well aware that lying was not something that he could do well.

Evergreen just stared at him saying nothing.

"Is Master here?" Freed asked trying to sound casual. "I have something I want to talk with him."

"He's in his office", Evergreen said. "Do you need me to come with you?" she suggested.

Freed knew it very well that even if she seemed self-centered and straightforwardly bitch sometimes to the others, Evergreen was actually the one who was most protective of them all when she feared something was wrong with her teammates.

"No Ever, I'm fine", Freed assured. "I will see you again later", he smiled and stepped in the hallway where Master's office was located in.

He stopped in front of the door and knocked.

"Come in", Makarov said and Freed opened the door.

"Good evening, Master Makarov", the Rune Mage greeted closing the door.

"Hello, Freed", Makarov smiled and put away some papers he was going through. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine, thank you. I was wondering if I could bother you for a while?"