Chapter 40

For the first week Freed did his best to live in Laxus' house by himself but he soon noticed it was not a good idea. Everything around there reminded him that Laxus was somewhere far on his mission and wouldn't return in a long time yet. So when Bickslow and Evergreen came to bring him home after two weeks, he was actually really grateful for them.

But it was still hard, even if his friends tried to keep him busy and they were looking for a good mission for the three of them. Freed did his best not to sink in despair by thinking what could happen to Laxus. He would come back, definitely. He had promised that and Freed always trusted him no matter what. Laxus was strong and smarter than he looked.

That morning Freed was really surprised when he noticed that Bicks and Ever had actually woken up before him and they were already at the Guild. So he decided to take a shower, dress up and head to the Guild as well. Maybe they had something planned? He had to admit that he had been quite passive last couple of weeks, not much of a help in any way but making dinners and cleaning. Sometimes he was perhaps also slightly more irritated than he would normally be... And if he was being honest, he was feeling kinda sick from time to time...

Freed couldn't help it, though. Maybe it had something to do with the dragon slayer magic? It was like he was constantly only thinking about Laxus and he missed him so much it almost drove him crazy. Was Laxus perhaps missing him just as much? Was he like this because they were separated? Well, this or that he only knew for sure that his body and mind missed Laxus like hell and he wanted to snuggle against his Thunder God, sleep beside him and just be with him.

But he couldn't, not before Laxus would return from his mission so he just had to try to snap out of it, that's what he decided when he locked the door and stepped on to the street. Warm autumn days were over and the breeze was ice cold, it wouldn't take long and winter would start.

The rune mage arrived at the Guild and opened one of the doors stepping in. He smiled when he saw Bickslow standing in front of the mission board.

"Good morning", he said stepping beside him.

"Good morning, baby", Bicks grinned. "We thought you wanted to sleep a little longer since you weren't doing the breakfast already."

"I guess I just read too late last evening", Freed said. "Where's Ever?"

"She's over there, talking with Elfman."

"Are there new mission sheets?"

"That's why we came early", Bickslow said. "Mirajane put these on this morning. There are four interesting missions, do you wanna check them out?"

"Alright", Freed nodded and Bickslow took four sheets from the board handing them over.

One was again an escort mission and Freed was not really excited about that. Next two were something about little bandits somewhere and in the fourth sheet a small village asked for help to get rid of a monster that was eating the farm animals at night. None of them seemed to be really challenging for them...

"Is there anything else?" Freed asked looking at the board.

"No, we just checked up everything, these are the best choices", Bickslow assured not moving from his spot in front of the mission board, making Freed lift his eyebrow. "What?"

"Are you two thinking that it might not be a good idea for me to go into more arduous missions?" Freed asked slowly, narrowing his eyes in a slightly dangerous way that made Bickslow sweat. Damn, Freed had honed that deathly glare to it's finest point... "You know I'm perfectly capable of keeping my personal feelings locked up so it wont affect our job. Or are you doubting me?" the rune mage asked with a low, challenging tone. Not in a playful way and that made Bickslow even more nervous. There was a really good reason why Freed was the captain, despite being the youngest. Just Freed's irritated glare could make many challenger run away in fear.