Chapter 28

Freed stretched his tired muscles as they were outside the hotel where their client was staying. Laxus and Ever were still inside taking care of the payment and he and Bicks were waiting near the entrance.

"What is taking them so long?" Bickslow groaned lounging on a bench. "I'm tired, I wanna go to sleeeep..."

"Stop whining, that won't help anything", Freed said. He had dark circles under his eyes but he refused to sit down. He was going to stay sharp until they would arrive at their hotel.

"Maybe that old bastard won't pay?" Bicks suggested. "What are we going to do then? I didn't take any money since we were supposed to get paid when the job is over."

"I'm sure Laxus and Ever will take care of things so we will get our payment."

"Yeah, maybe Ever will turn all of them into stone statues and then Laxus will shatter the whole place..."

"They know they can't do anything like that here."

They waited another fifteen minutes until finally doors opened. Laxus and Evergreen looked furious.

"What happened?" Freed asked confused.

"That old fucker tricked us", Laxus growled. "He used magic paper for the contract. He could change what was stated in the contract and it said he was only obliged to pay a fracture of what was agreed in the first place."

"What?!" Bickslow howled and stood up. "We have no money?!"

"And neither a place where to sleep", Ever hissed. "Money we got is not even enough for us all to buy train tickets back to Magnolia!"

"You gotta be kidding! Where are we gonna sleep? How do we get back home? What do we eat?" Bicks whined. "We have no tent, no blankets or any of our camping equipments! It would take days to walk back to Magnolia!"

"We can't stay here, that old fart said that if we won't be gone in fifteen minutes the staff will throw us out or call the town guards so we end up in jail."

"Wow, he got really pissed off 'cause he couldn't have Freed", Bicks snorted and took his backpack.

"He is obviously one of those rich men who are used to have what he wants", Freed sneered and took his own bag. "And he will punish those who dare to object him."

"Whatever, I'd rather sleep a month in a forest without any equipments than let him get near you", Laxus said and touched Freed's cheek, making him smile.

"We will figure something out", greenette promised.

"Yeah, we have been in tough situations before", Bickslow grinned.

"But I was really looking forward to have a change to live three days in a hotel suite", Evergreen sighed as they started walking in the dark streets.

Freed looked at his friends faces and he could see the disappointment. Even Laxus had obviously been excited about the idea of them spending three days together at the suite.

Freed frowned his eyebrows and tried to decide what to do.

"How far can we get with that money we have?" he asked finally.

"Huh? Perhaps two towns away from here if we all go", Laxus answered.

"That is far enough", Freed said. "Come, we need to hurry to our night train", he said and with confusion in their faces his friends ran after him towards the train station.

Freed took the jewels and purchased the tickets.

"We made it", he sighed as they found an empty cabin.