Chapter 42

It took them long past noon before they felt it was safe enough so they could move Bickslow to have better treatment. Freed had gone and collected the Tiki dolls and the helmet, looking at the destruction Valdeghar had caused. There was only some limbs left of the suo-kaapu and rest of it was blown away somewhere in the forest. The terrain in the battlefield looked like there had been massive destruction, trees torn down and the ground had a deep line and even the big rocks were shattered to pieces. But the forest would soon take back this place and there would be new plants and trees in no time at all.

The villagers lent them a cart and helped to move Bickslow to the train station. There they thanked them, Freed and Ever refused to take the reward and then they started their journey back home in the cabin where they had a bed for Bickslow.

"I called for Elfman", Ever said as she stepped back inside. "He comes with Wendy to the train station and helps us to carry Bicks to the Guild's infirmary. Wendy wanted to see right away how bad the condition is."

"That's good", Freed muttered looking at their old friend, who they had patched up as good as they could.

"If Wendy can't help him, we will go fetch Porlyusica", Ever said sitting next to Freed. "He will be fine." But it sounded more like she was trying to convince herself instead of Freed.

"Yeah, Bicks is strong", Freed reassured pulling his hand around Ever's shoulder, feeling how she trembled still. "Don't worry, we will make sure he will survive."

"I know..." Ever sniffled leaning her head against Freed's shoulder.

It felt like the train would never arrive but finally they stopped. With Ever's help Freed managed to carry Bickslow out and they saw Wendy and Elfman, who ran towards them.

"This looks bad", Wendy said worried as Elfman took the seith mage. "We must hurry."

For the first time Freed was thinking that their Guild house was definitely too far from the train station, but they just needed to walk faster. Finally they were sitting in the hallway, while Wendy was in the infirmary taking care of Bickslow and they could do nothing more than just wait. They were exhausted and worried sick, but they believed in Wendy. She could definitely help Bicks.

"Do you think he might have scars?" Ever finally broke the tension. "Those wounds were pretty deep."

"Scars are manly", Elfman grinned. "He will be fine."

"Yes, I don't think couple of scars will break his spirit", Freed said and he took out his bag.

He put the five Tiki dolls on the table, where they lay silent and unmoving. It was odd and really sad, since they were used to seeing them always flying around and blabbering something. The swordsman ran his slender fingers at the wooden surface of one of the dolls, where there was one deep scratch caused by the suo-kaapu's attack. But the 'babies' had suffered similar damages before, Bickslow would figure out how to fix them.

"He will survive", Freed said once again. "Wendy will do her best."

"Yeah, don't you guys worry", Elfman smiled. "She has healed wounds even nastier. And Bickslow is a strong man, he will overcome this!"

"Yes", Ever smiled with a small chuckle.

Clock kept ticking on and they just sat there and waited. It was really excruciating, they had no idea how the situation was. Suddenly they heard steps from the stairs and stood up, looking at Porlyusica who appeared at the hallway.

"Wendy sent me a word", she said. "Is she there?"

"Yes. Did she tell you what is going on?" Freed said.