Chapter 51

At home Laxus seated Freed on the couch, still covered by his massive dark coat.

"I'm feeling much better already", Freed assured while Ever started to make tea.

"Good to hear, then you have enough energy to tell about those demons and Zaldevils and everything related to them", Laxus said sitting next to him and Bickslow slumped on the arm chair.

"I'm not even sure where to start", Freed sighed.

"Start with that nightmare you just had. What demon was it? Has Valdeghar anything to do with it?"

"No!" Freed said and he even felt a little bit hurt that Laxus even suggested something like that. "You leave Valdeghar out of this. He doesn't deserve to be accused of something he did not do."

"Alright", Laxus said. "Just checking."

"Good. Because I don't think Valdeghar would work for my grandfather behind my back, at least not with his own will", Freed huffed.

"Fine, we can leave Valdeghar out of this", Laxus promised. "But then, who are those demons? What demon has been giving you nightmares?"

"I don't know their names, I haven't even met them before. But I'm sure they work for my grandfather, since it has been Valdeghar who actually has warned me many times that he is up to something. Last time when I spoke with him was right after we returned when we fought with the suo-kaapu. He assured that grandfather had not taken any contact with him and he will tell me if he would."

"You trust him that much?" Ever asked setting the tray with teacups on the coffee table.

"He saved our lives", Freed said. "He wouldn't have done that if he didn't care. He said that he wanted to help because he thought Bickslow was a really good friend."

"Aw, thanks baby", Bicks grinned.

"But if your grandfather - Lucados, was it? - is the lord of the family or whatever, doesn't that give him the ultimate control over every demon in your family?" Laxus asked.

"Actually, no", Freed said. "Well, yes, somehow, but he can't just order Valdeghar around, nor tell him to leave me. Same goes with Umanor."

"Who's that?" Bicks asked confused.

"Darkness."

"Oh, it's that other fella, demon with big horns and claws whose form you use sometimes."

"Rawr!" 'babies' growled.

"Precisely. Umanor doesn't really care about talking and he likes his own space and peace, but he is a good friend also. It was easier to befriend with him than Valdeghar", Freed confessed.

"When we were in your mansion, you told me you were one day old when you got your demons. And you don't know how many there is inside you", Laxus said. "Is that true?"

"Yes", Freed nodded. "I have no memories of that day as you can guess. The largest number of demons I know one of my ancestors had was nine. Usually it is around one to four. I'm not sure if even grandfather knows if there are more than just Valdeghar and Umanor inside me. But then again, grandfather seems to be most secretive of his powers thorough all history of Zaldevils..."

"So how did you get to know those two?"

"There are rituals that I was taught. With those I can talk with one demon at a time and make a contract with him, but only if they agree to it. They might be part of me but that doesn't mean they are willing to co-operate. It took four times to talk with Umaro until it was done and thirtyseven times to talk with Valdeghar and even after that we had lots of quarrels with him."