Chapter 62

First train back to Magnolia was leaving early in the morning. Roxanne, Kvestor and even Roscoe came to see them off and Roxanne promised that they would arrive at Magnolia to see them when the ceremony was held.

Their journey back home went without problems and as the first thing they headed back to the Guild to talk with Makarov. And just like Laxus had predicted, the old man wasn't very thrilled when they came back home with a mysterious book that Fairy Tail should now protect.

"But I'm not going to tell about this to the whole guild", Makarov said. "This is something that Laxus and the Thunder Legion brought, so you four should remain as the only ones who know about this."

"What about Levy?" Freed asked. "She could help me with it. And Porlyusica."

"Fine, but that's it. We will keep it at the basement, guarded by spells."

"I can set there something", Freed promised. "But we need there more than just my runes. Just in case."

"I will come up with something. You're free to go."

With that they took the book downstairs and it was leaved behind the locks and spells. Freed would have wanted to start studying it right away, but Laxus disagreed. The rune mage was actually still worried about his Thunder God. Laxus was just... Slightly different. Like part of him was still affected by the dragon instincts.

Few days later Freed's thoughts were only confirmed as Laxus got more unpredictable, more protective towards him. When he tried to talk about it, Laxus just brushed the whole thing aside and assured that everything was fine. He really wanted to talk about this with Levy but he was worried what might happen when Laxus and Gajeel would see each other. Of course they had seen each other at the Guild many times already, but if Freed talked with Levy that meant they should sit down hours and couldn't avoid direct contact. Both being protective and jealous, everything could happen. Especially Laxus being like he was right now.

Freed wouldn't have ever believed it to happen, but he really was getting sick of Laxus' being near him all the time. And he did say it to him many times, his mood swings getting him easily annoyed. But that didn't seem to bother the lightning dragon slayer one bit and he didn't leave his side. Even though that was really irritating sometimes and Freed felt like he was being patronized, it still warmed his heart that Laxus was worried about him.

Laxus himself understood that he might be getting on Freed's nerves, but he knew this was for the best. He was just being a good dragon taking care of his pregnant mate, that's all. It was important to take care of the mate. Some day their offspring would leave the nest and start their own life but mate would stay by his side for the rest of his life. Without his mate... He simply couldn't even imagine life without Freed anymore. Even thinking about it made him want to protect Freed more, keep him safe and warm. Laxus knew his mate was a strong man with lots of wisdom and he was one of the most bravest men he had ever encountered. But he couldn't protect himself right now like he used to, so it was his job to keep him safe.

He would do that even if it meant that Freed would yell at him from time to time or pout or even threaten that Laxus would sleep on the couch if he didn't let Freed be alone for a while.

There was also something else that Freed noticed. Laxus was sleeping more and more lighter now. Even if Freed would yawn, Laxus would wake up immediately. It was almost scary. Yet still he didn't seem that tired or was just really good at hiding it.

Their next visit to see Porlyusica again was when Freed really got worried. The old woman actually had to put Laxus under the sleep spell so she could examine Freed without getting disturbed all the time.