Chapter 57

Laxus, Freed, Evergreen and Bickslow walked towards their client's house and looked around while doing it.

"This town is so beautiful", Ever smiled.

"It is", Freed nodded. "I'm really happy that we decided to come along with you two."

"We?" Laxus said rising his eyebrow.

"Alright, I decided", Freed admitted. "But it's not like you really fought against this decision. I know you would have done a lot more if you really wanted us to stay in Magnolia", he smirked smugly and Laxus muttered something. "Bicks, since you're now the leader of this mission, what do you want to do first?"

"What?" Bicks said surprised.

"I can't do the decisions", Freed huffed. "I'm not part of this mission, remember? And you're the one who chose this mission and asked Ever to join you, you are responsible of the team."

"What about Laxus?" the seith mage asked.

"Sorry, I'm here just to look after Freed but I will help you guys if you need anything", Laxus promised. "Consider me as a backup for tough situations."

"Alright", Bicks grinned. "This is gonna be good."

"Don't you dare order me around for some petty little things like fetching something for you", Ever hissed dangerously.

"Not my style, baby", Bicks cackled. "Don't worry. I just wanna get this job done so we can go home. Okay, Let's go see the client first, ask more about this mission and stuff and then find a place where we can crash and eat."

"Sounds like a plan", Laxus nodded.

"Do you know where our - no, not our, your client", Freed quickly corrected when Laxus scowled at him. "Lives?"

"Yeah, I got the address."

They followed Bickslow, until they arrived at one of the old stores that was clearly a book store. They had seen at least ten similar stores on their way here. If Freed weren't so curious about this mission, he would have already gone and buried himself with books.

Bickslow grabbed the old antique door knocker and let out three sharp knocks. Then they just waited. And waited.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Laxus asked annoyed.

"Yeah, the address is the same", Bicks assured and he knocked harder this time.

"Maybe they are out?" Ever asked. "They couldn't know when we would come, so they might be out shopping or similar."

"That is a possibility", Freed nodded. "We should wait."

"Dammit", Laxus grunted. "Why can't the client never make us wait when we are somewhere where it's not this cold outside?"

"Someone's coming!" 'babies' announced, as they were looking at the window above the big door.

"Finally", Laxus grumbled.

"Back to sleep, babies", Bickslow grinned and let his Tiki dolls disappear under his cape.

Again they waited, until they heard steps. Small steps. And a cane. Finally the door's lock clacked and then there was a small creak as it opened. They had to lower their gazes so they could see the tiny old woman with a white big bun of hair.

"Yes? The book store is closed right now", she said leaning on her cane. "You didn't see the sign?"

"Sign?" Bicks said confused. "No, there's no sign here?"

"Then you should look again, we are closed."

"Do you perhaps mean this sign, Madam?" Freed asked politely, pointing at the sign that was hanging on the inside of the door.